Thursday, August 13, 2009

Last Day in Los Angeles

Wednesday, August 22nd

Today was the last day in Los Angeles. I started the day with packing and a plan to do a load of laundry so that I won't have to carry dirty clothes on my bus trip back to the east coast. Unfortunately, this LA hostel doesn't provide access to their washer and dryer (only for staff business). I had to walk over to the local laundromat about 7 minutes away. Just when I was about to start washing my clothes, LA epal called to see if I wanted to do a bit of last minute sightseeing. He wanted to take me to a place called the Grove and a place called the Farmer's Market. Instead of having my epal wait for me to wash my clothes, I left my clothes with the attendant for their washing services.

First stop was the Farmer's Market. I wasn't hungry, however, my epal treated me to a large orange juice. He also asked to see the photos I had taken while I was in LA. What surprised me was that he looked at all of them. About 4 or 5 hundred!

From the Farmer's Market, we walked over to the Grove (a shopping district). The last place we visited was the La Brea Tar Pits, which wasn't far away. We didn't go into the museum, we just walked around the park. Although there are "official" pits of tar, LA epal told me that the whole area was built over the tar and that tar can bubble up anywhere in the park.

After La Brea, I had to return to pick up my laundry. When I arrived at the hostel, I got packed and was ready to go. I wasn't exactly sure about the location to Greyhound station. When I first arrived at the hostel, I leafed through a binder they had of information for tourist, including traveling information(including Greyhound station). I was sure it wasn't that far, but LA epal told me that it was. I know there was a binder at the hostel, but the hostel guy on call at the time seem to have no idea what I was talking about, nor did he make any attempt to help. Anyway, LA epal offered to drive me to the bus depot downtown -- he said it would be about a 40 minute drive (if we didn't get stuck in traffic). We arrived with about 15 minutes to spare. I've enjoyed my time in LA. Actually, LA was a last minute decision. I would like to return next summer.

Oh, it was after the bus had left, that I figured out the best way to the Greyhound station. It was actually about 3 stations stops away on the train.

Well, I think that is about it. Next up, my adventure continues onto Salt Lake City, Utah.

The attached photo is a life-sized model of a probably scene of a mammal getting stuck in the tar pit.

Post Date - Thursday, August 13, 2009 11:28AM

No comments: