Friday, August 07, 2009

The Adventure Begins

I'm back. I returned yesterday afternoon. I was not able to blog during my trip mainly due to a lack of computer access. Starting today, I will be recounting to the best of my ability (and my notes) my Summer 2009 Vacation.

Saturday, July 18th

Since I missed my original flight. I had to pay a penalty for changing a nonrefundable ticket ($200). It wasn't until I got home, I realized that the hostel would not be opened when I arrived at around midnight. I tried calling for an earlier flight, but I was told that I had to call within a 3 hour window of the departing flight. Problem. I live about 3 hours away. I left early hoping to arrive at the airport to make it easier to change flights. Nope. I missed the earlier flight by ten minutes. It turned out okay(at the time). Time flew much faster than I was expecting it. After browsing through the bookstore, I went for dinner. By the time I got my dinner, I decided to go through the security check point, there was only about 30 minutes before the departure time. Oh, would you believe I got stuck behind an Arab family/group that didn't seem to understand the concept of "metal detector". Each person (male and female) had jewelry dangling from every wrist and neck available(and quite a few fingers as well). None of the security suggested that they remove all of the jewelry. Each person would be sent through setting off the machine. The person would be sent back through again. The second time, the security would call for a (male or female) to do a more detailed search. Me? I went through with no problem. Oh, I forgot I had my breakfast shakes with me. No liquids.

The plane ride was uneventful...thank goodness. However, when I arrived, I discovered that I had left all of my travel contact information, schedules, plans etc.... So, I was in the LAX at midnight with no way of contacting the shuttle service, or the hostels. At first, I finally decided to go to a nearby motel for the night.

1st attempt - No pick up service available. Motel operator said that the place was only about 5 minutes away. Walking directions were useless.

2nd attempt - Then, an airport staff worker suggested I take a cab. The first cab driver wanted $15 dollars even when I told him the motel was five minutes away.

3rd attempt - I tried walking to the motel (any motel at this time), but after walking for 90 minutes after midnight, with about 20lbs of luggage with me, I gave up, I slept on a bench in the airport. About 6AM the next morning, I was finally able to find the correct shuttle. And what did I discover as the shuttle van started to drive? I was back where I had started. If I had walked another 5 minutes, I would have been right back at my starting point. Yep. I had walked around the entire airport.

I arrived at the hostel 10 minutes before they opened, so I stashed my luggage behind the hostel, and walked to the Hollywood Walk of Fame. When the hostel opened, the woman in charge for the morning shift informed me that my room/bed wasn't ready?!?!? I wouldn't be able to go to the room until 3PM. I sponged off in the bathroom and began my LA adventure.

I visited about 3 or 4 Hollywood museums and took one neighborhood tours.

I'll post my pictures at another time.

Post Date - Friday, August 7, 2009 1:20PM

2 comments:

A Paperback Writer said...

I'm laughing because I've had trips like this, too! I feel your pain about security, hotels that aren't open, etc.

Jannx said...

It is nice to know that my experience was not unique. Sorry, misery does love company.