Monday, August 24, 2009

Salt Lake City - Day 5

Monday, July 27th

The plan was to take a drive over to the Bonneville Salt Flats. However, things didn't work out this time around.

SLC Epal was suppose to call about 11AM about seeing the Bonneville Salt Flats, but called at 10AM to say "something came up at home and wouldn't be available until 1PM or 2PM". Since I was up and ready, I decided to go for a walk instead of sitting around and waiting. I ended up returning to Temple Square, the tourist center, and Brigham Young's Park. On my way back, I stopped at a nearby 7-eleven. I was hungry, but I wasn't in a mood for a sit down meal. I brought a sandwich and juice. I returned at 1PM and hung out at the hostel.

At 2PM, SLC Epal called to say that he "would need another 30 or 40 minutes. The truck is still in my yard." To be honest, I was a bit confused with this statement. Remembering the tour of his home, I didn't remember seeing a truck. Since SLC Epal didn't elaborate, I didn't ask any questions. I just took it as a personal matter.

I ended up falling asleep for awhile. SLC Epal left a message saying that it was probably too late to go to the Bonneville Salt Flats. The time stamp of the message was 3:45PM. SLC Epal asked for me to return his call, but I ended up going back to sleep.

SLC Epal called again later -- Yes, I did pick up this time. He called to say that he would call again tomorrow around 11AM and maybe go tomorrow to the Bonneville Salt Flats. The "maybe" told be he probably didn't want to go, but I didn't say anything. Then, SLC Epal asked if I wanted to "go grab some dinner". To be honest (since I was probably still half sleep), I didn't know what he was asking. Since there was no change in his tone or manner of speaking(he asked very casually), I didn't get the impression that there was anything wrong today. What was going through my mind, I might have just been overthinking the day. A part of me thought I would either be offering to pick up the tab since SLC Epal was driving, or we would just split the check. Those were the only thoughts that came to mind. Since I wasn't in a talkative mood, I took a pass. I decided to do a load of laundry and call it a night.

Later, I check his blog to see if SLC Epal would post something about his day, I was still a bit confused about "the truck". It turns out he was moving a truck. I didn't recognize the truck, and I didn't recognize the house, or the high weeds, but I just thought it was a personal matter and didn't bring it up.


Post Date - Monday, August 24, 2009 11:58PM

4 comments:

A Paperback Writer said...

Don't feel too bad. I'd been to his house dozens of times without ever seeing that truck. It was hidden behind the garage.
And I called him a bunch of times that day, too. No doubt he was feeling stressed because both of us had planned to go with him and he was stuck moving a truck.

Jannx said...

Oh, behind the garage. Thanks for clearing up the mystery. You're right, I never would have thought about behind the garage.

A Paperback Writer said...

I didn't know until he explained to me he had more property behind the garage (I'd thought the garage stretched to his property line) and until I saw the pics on his blogpost.

Jannx said...

Now, that I've had time to think about it, that really isn't a bad idea. Having a bit of "stash area" that is out of the way for storage sounds like a good idea.