Friday, June 09, 2006

Another stressful workday.

Second period I had the wild Pre-K class that I'd mentioned a few blog entries ago. I gave them a handwriting practice worksheet. I was surprised how much they seemed to enjoy it. Even when early finishers were starting to play, the remainding students continued to finish their page. Usually, the minute someone starts to play, then others no longer care about finishing their work. Since they were showing an interest in the worksheet I gave them more time to finish, leaving the other kids to play, usually not a good idea. While I was trying to help some kids with the tracing, the other kids were going wild, running, throwing blocks, arguing over toys etc.. Once again, I had to be the screaming monster to get the kids to fall in line. All the toys, games, and blocks had to be put away (by the kids -- I am not a servant). I got very lucky, the entire mess was cleaned up (by the kids), seconds before the regular teacher walked into the room. She was on time. The teaching assistant (the one who lectured me about leaving the kids unsupervised by a teacher) did not return. Actually, the teacher assistant was supposed to stay with the kids, but I told her if she wanted a break, she could have one.

Third period, I had to cover a first grade class. The 1st grade teacher was one of the good teachers; she still had her routines very firmly in place. There was no difficulty with this class.

Fourth period, I had to cover a 3rd /4th grade bridge class; this class was so wild that there were two teachers needed to teach this class, however, the class was prepped by one teacher...me. As the period went on, the class became progressively wild (profanity, arguments, throwing objects etc…) One student seemed to have some major anger issues. After laughing and joking with the other boys at his table about topics completely inappropriate for kids, this kid (in a blink of an eye) started to become increasingly angry. First, he started banging on his desk, then he started flipping his desk over onto the floor, pick his desk up then flipping it again onto the floor. He did this for about 5 minutes. I called the office (getting the usually “thank you for letting us know" reply). The kid was about my height and almost my weight. Yes, this was an elementary classroom. When I realized that I was basically along. I change tactics. I switched to my psychologist persona. I have several classroom personas: bodyguard, referee, warden, psychologist, madman, etc…and teacher is somewhere on the list.

Anyway, I lowered my voice to almost a whisper, and tried to show that I understood his anger. After about 5 minutes of refusing to speak to me (tears in his eyes, and clinched fists), the boy finally explained to me the reason he was angry. He told me he was angry because other kids were throwing things across the room. That moment wasn’t the time to mention that he was also throwing things. I just reacted like I understood, and explained to him the importance of communicating. I managed to calm him down.

So, what do I think the reason was? I think the boys at his table started to speak Spanish and either he was left out, or they were talking about him (in Spanish).

Next period, I had to cover a 6th grade class I covered a few days ago. I walked through the door, and you would have sworn it was the last day of school. The students were all over the room, sitting on desks, signing stuffed toys, talking loudly etc…It took me about 5 minutes to get these kids into their seats. Yes, the classroom teacher was still in the room, but once again I suspect this teacher also had the “it is the end of the school year, and the standardized test have all been taken, so let’s just wait out the clock” attitude.

Anyway, I finally got most of the students into their (or a) seat. Then the assistant principal walked in. Usually she is a tough as nails, don’t take any nonsense kind of person. But I was surprised when she walked in didn’t make any comments about the kids being out of their seats. She just walked in and started handing out coffee mugs (from the 99-cent store I suspect) the mugs were rewards for students who regularly wore their uniform to school. She had told them to put the mugs away. However, they didn’t put the mugs away while she was there, and they didn’t put the mugs away when she left. Now, they had the signature toys (with markers) and the mugs to entertain themselves. They also had some kind of "silly money" (reward coupons for prizes). I handed out my worksheets to a loud chorus of complains about what is it and why is he giving it to us.

One girl came right out and asked why I was giving them work:

Girl: What is this for?
Me: It is work for you to do. It is a reading practice exercise.
Girl:I can see that. I mean why are you giving it to us? Will it go into our portfolio? Will we have a test?
Me: No.
Girl: Then why do we need this?
Me: Because you are in school. I am almost sure your mother would want you to come to school to learn. Just because the school year is almost over, does not mean the learning stops. I am sure most of you (all) will be going to middle school next year. You need to maintain your skills. (I was looking at the girl, but I was really speaking to the whole class.)
Girl: Can I draw instead?
Me: Would your mother really be happy with you drawing in school instead of reading?
Girl: If my teacher gives me permission, my mother would be okay with that.
Me: Really. Well, at this moment, I want the students to be sitting quietly. If you choose to draw, I won’t complain. However, I would rather you did the reading assignment. I won’t give you permission to draw. Some kids will go home and tell their parents (when asked what you did in school) that their teacher told them that they could draw.

From the look on the girl’s face, I am sure she understood what I was trying to say. Result, she did not draw, she just sat and did nothing. Later, she talked, but she stayed in her seat. My impression of this girl is that she is a loophole jumper. If she can find a loophole she will jump through (blaming the teacher), but since I did not give her one, she stayed relatively quiet. Unfortunately, she was the only one. The rest of the disruptive kids just could not care less I was in the room. In a classroom of about 15 students, only one girl did the assignment (without talking or being disruptive), the two others (one a visitor from another class) did the assignment. I think having work for the students knowing full well that most of them could not care less, helped to keep the students (mostly in their seats). Also, since I was there to teach, I acted as if the students were interested. Even if one student was interested, I wanted to make sure his or her time was productive (or at least relatively productive). Even if the students were not interested, I still made myself available. The visitor even managed to do most of the worksheet because I kept returning to him, even when he turned the worksheet into a paper airplane. Yes, I did collect the worksheets, and I did grade the sheets (knowing full well the sheets will probably end up in the trash). The only girl that completed the assignment, I corrected her paper in the class, and explained the only mistake she made on the assignment, the other sheets will be returned next week on Tuesday (Monday is a half-day, which is a no work day for substitute teachers).

So, how did the class end? Wildly, of course. The classroom teacher stayed in the room for about 15 to 20 minutes before leaving, so I was on my own. I stopped the lesson (!?!) 10 minutes early. I use going to lunch on time as a way to try to keep the kids in line. By stopping the lesson 10 minutes early, I let the kids know that if they were quiet they could go to lunch on time. From the classroom, it would have taken about 2 or 3 minutes to reach the lunchroom. Problem.

The students were determined not to make things easy. Or, maybe they resented me being strict about the procedures they’ve had since September. What were my conditions for going to lunch?

1. Clean up the messes they made (including the worksheets they did not do, and the scraps of cut up paper from students cutting up the "silly money").
2. Line up in size order. Although, after about 15 minutes, I compromised about lining up in size order. I settled for just getting on line and stop playing.

They just would not cooperate. After about 20 minutes the messes were cleaned up, but they just would not stop talking and playing on line. I refused to move from in front of the door. Pencils were thrown at me. They continued talking and playing on line. Chanting and shouting: “Let my people go.”, “Attica “. One boy continued with “shut the f**k up several times each time the rowdy ones wanted to know why I would not let them go. The ones who argued the most were the ones who played the most, and were the most disruptive. Normally, I would send a few students out, but they were so wild and out of control, I worried that if I opened the door, several students would push through and run. Problem, I still have about 2 more weeks at this school. There most likely would not have been any consequences for the disrespect. But a good incentive to be even wilder the next time.

Basically, if I could not manage them this time, I would not be able to manage them next time.

Ending. 30 minutes later, the classroom teacher returned. I am happy to say that he supported me and helped me let the children know that they were not in charge. I did have to think twice when I typed the words children. About 4 boys and 2 girls were much bigger than I am. Yes, I am still writing about an elementary school. In one school I subbed at, there was a girl who had to repeat several grades; she was in the same class as her little sister. If I am not mistaken, I believe I was told she was 14 years old in the fifth grade. Unbelievable.

Probably a few kids mention in this class have also repeated a few grades.

I could write about my 7th period class, but I’ve been on this computer long enough.

Post Date Monday, June 12, 2006 2:32am