Tuesday, June 20, 2006

June 20, 2006
Today should have been a very easy relaxed day. I had one of the shortest work schedules this year, but for some reason, I was just as tired by the end of the day. To make up for yesterday, I was given a cluster teacher’s schedule. For some reason, this cluster teacher’s schedule only had 3 classes. Cluster teachers are usually assigned other school related duties, that (lucky for me) are not given to substitute teachers. Usually, the assistant principal would fill in the blank spaces with “make-up prep” classes to teach. But again, the assistant principal wanted to make up for the rough assignment that I was given yesterday. She also apologized for “just checking her messages” and did not realize that I really needed her help yesterday. She did suggest that in the future, I should call the main office if I can reach her at her office. Since I have about a week left, I did not point out the flaws in her suggestions (see yesterday’s blog entry) creating a conflict. I made about 3 calls to the main office, and one time, she was just walking into the office (according to the secretary on the phone).

Fourth period, I had the wild pre-k class that I’ve mentioned in previous blog entries. They were still at the year-end awards assembly during the period. I am going to pass on commenting about undeserving kids with medals and certificates for “good work”. The award assembly was (I think) more than an hour long. Since the kids were sitting for such a long time, I thought I would let them play with table toys then finish the period with a story. Unfortunately, things did not go according to plan. No sooner did table toy time start:
* A group of girls had a problem with a girl scratching them
* Two boys (one who spoke very little English) were “wilding” in the classroom
* A group of boys dump 3 or 4 games (each game seemed to have a million pieces—Bingo was one of the games) on the floor, but “none of them did it”
* A couple of parents (with nothing better to do) decided to hang out at the door to watch the chaos unfold

Before all of this happened, the parent volunteer complained that this was her lunch break. Since the assistant teacher was absent, I guess she was filling in. There is more, but I think you get the picture.

Fifth period, I had the wild 5th grade class. Again, no travel time/break to get my materials (or my sanity) organized. They were almost as bad as the 6th grade class I wrote about in a previous blog. Speaking of that 6th grade class, the teacher was late this morning (a trip day for his class) so I was asked to watch the kids for about 15 or 20 minutes. Anyway, since the 5th graders were out of control, I used the only tool I had. I told them I would give up my lunch period to make sure they were the last ones to eat. I ended up giving up about half of my lunch period, because no sooner did the school aid arrive, he undermines my authority by saying the kids need to eat, the kitchen is on a schedule. Even though I explained that I only wanted them to be the last ones called to get their lunches. Whether this 5th grade class was first or last to get their lunches, their line-up time would not have affected the “kitchen schedule”. I settled for standing at the kitchen door to make sure the 3 boys I made the promise to would be sent to the back of the boys’ line. The school aid must have known that he was wrong, after the last boy (one of the boys that was giving me trouble started arguing with the school aid, so the school aid made that boy get on line last – what I originally wanted). When I was about to leave the students’ lunchroom, the school aid in charge told me that if I had told him that I wanted the class to eat last, then he would have pick that class last to line up. Since I have about a week left, I did not point out the flaws…oh, you get the picture.

My 7th period class, a nice 4th grade class, was canceled; they were on a class trip. So you see, an easy day, but I was still tired. I think I’ve been spending too much time instant-messaging lately. Yesterday, I was online until about 4 in the morning. I then had about 2 hours of sleep.

I was out of the building by 3:05, and I was in my shoebox by 4pm. On the way home, I was planning to go to the store, but since it was early, I thought I would first change my clothes, then go, but once home, I was too comfortable to get up. Finally, when I was ready, I’m sure the “pop pop pop” sounds I heard outside were gunshots, so I didn’t go.

Post Date - Wednesday, June 28, 2006 1:17pm