Wednesday, June 14, 2006


June 14, 2006
Another pre-k day. Today I found out the regular pre-k teacher had a death in the family, so I was asked to cover this class again. Normally, I would not like having a pre-k (or kindergarten) class as a full-time teacher, but as a sub, I am enjoying myself. There is a lot of whining, crying and complaining, but the little kids are much easier to deal with (as a sub) than the older kids are.

I continued to let the assistant teacher lead the class. She is a very good assistant; she is not afraid of hard work. I was a little annoyed that she was a little too attached to her cell phone. In the middle of the class, she is on the phone with her son. Her younger son (8th grader) called several times (called on his way to the school bus stop, he called while he was waiting for the bus, and he called when he was on the bus). Other than the phone, I didn’t have any problems with the assistant teacher.

Today I was in a good mood, but at the same time I did not feel like going out for lunch. Usually, the only food readily available for lunch outside the school is junk food. Today I decided to buy a school lunch ($4.00). I will attach a photo my school lunch today (for my Japanese pen pals). If I can, I will also attach a photo of a typical Japanese school lunch (for the American readers of this blog).

Today was another rehearsal for the “moving up” ceremony. The rehearsal went much better today. There was still some confusion, but much better than the other practices.

I was out of the school building about 3:05. Once in my shoebox, I decided to boil some pasta and heat some pasta sauce (very short and simple). I was really pleased with the way the pasta dinner came out. When the younger lady (the Screamer) came into the kitchen, I made the mistake of offering her some of my pasta dinner. I keep making the mistake of saying, “help yourself”, instead of fixing a taste on a separate plate like
she has done on the few times that she has offered me anything. Anyway, after I told Screamer about the pasta dinner, she said that she would try “a little bit”. I left her in the kitchen while I ate my dinner in my shoebox, when I returned, she ended up taking about half. I’d cooked a whole bag of pasta [1lb.] and a whole jar of pasta sauce [1lb.10oz.]; there should have been enough to last for 4 or 5 days.

First Photo (NYC Lunch)
Second Photo (JPN Lunch)

Post Date - Wednesday, June 28, 2006 12:48pm