Thursday, June 08, 2006

June 8, 2006
Yesterday there was not much to write about, it was a fairly nice work day…despite the rain. My work schedule was fairly easy. I was the sub for the Spanish cluster/prep teacher. No, I didn’t do any Spanish lessons. Once again, I just relied on my collection of worksheets. My first period was my prep(preparation) period. Second period was the Spanish teacher’s student council meeting (which was my free period). Third period, there was a dance performance in the auditorium, so I covered the class there.

Fourth period, I had to cover a pre-k class. It was a little disappointing. The teacher seemed to have done what teacher’s often do; she seemed to have loosened up the reins as the school year winds down. Result, the kids were wild.

The big carpet was switched for a smaller carpet, so the kids could have assigned seats on letters of the alphabets. The big carpet was moved to the opposite side of the room (now sharing the block area and the drama area. The idea was good, but the reality was not. The carpet now being used in the meeting area is very small, which means the kids are practically sitting on top of each other. And since the carpet is so small, not every kid has a letter to sit on. Huh?!?!

The kids no longer (since the last time I was there about 2 months ago) have assign seats at the tables. The results, the kids race to sit next to friends, arguing over who got to the seat first.

Most of the time I spent in the room was trying to rein in the kids and keep them from going wild (kids hiding under tables, running around the room, grabbing things, bullying others [yes, I did say this was a pre-k class]). I’ve subbed in this class 3 or 4 times about two months ago, I really don’t remember them being this wild. Luckily, the little kids are easier to manage than the older ones. I did manage to get the reins and quiet the kids down. About 5 minutes after the teacher (and her assistant) was suppose to have returned, I left the kids with the parent volunteer assigned to help out, so that I could go to my next class. I really don’t like being late for classes. Knowing how rough some classes can be, a teacher’s preparation period is very important. As I leave the room, the classroom teacher and her assistant are strolling to the room, remember, they are already five minutes late. My next class is on the opposite side of the building, two floor up (no elevator), and a 5th grade class. Did I mention the periods have no travel time between them? No time to get organized moving from a wild pre-k to a 5th grade class, no time between classes for traveling, I was in sprite mode as I left the pre-k classroom, only to be stopped in the hallway and lectured by the assistant teacher. Why? I should not have left the kids with the parent volunteer. I wanted to say, “you need to get your ass to class on time and stop strolling in the hall”, but I said nothing. I suspect she imagined that I left the kids running wild. No, I didn’t. Despite seeming to have forgotten every rule that they were taught, I managed to give the per-k kids some free time, had them clean up their toys, and had them all sitting quietly on the carpet, before I left. Usually, I like to end a lesson with a quiet activity (in this case reading a story), so that the kids and the classroom are in shape when the classroom teacher returns.

Fifth period, I covered a 5th grade class, since they were planning to go on a trip, I had something to keep them in line. I had no problems with this class. Next period was my lunch period. The finally period of the day was covering the 3rd grade class that I’d subbed last week. A very nice class, especially when one particular boy was absent. That kid has some serious issues.

Since yesterday was an early dismissal, I was out of the building about 2:35. Despite it being a very rainy day, I had a good work day. After returning to my shoebox, I did 30 minutes on my rowing machine, and made baked chicken and rice. The vegetable was okra. I am not a big fan of okra, but I wanted a changed. Actually, I am not really a vegetable fan, I only eat vegetables because they are healthy (and I really can’t afford to get sick). Later in the evening, I ate a full container (1quart) of sherbet. Sherbet (I am hoping is much, much healthier than ice cream. I used to eat about a quart of ice cream (butter pecan and strawberry were my favorites). Sherbet seems to be an okay substitute; I don’t miss ice cream…very much.

Today, I have another day off. I am happy now, but I will not be when payday comes.

I was about to end this entry, but I have one more addition to today’s adventure.

I went to the office supply/copy center to make copies. Upon arriving, there were two copy machines, one was being used by an elderly gentleman who could not make the machine work. The other machine was being used by a couple of young guys giggling and laughing like they were the only people in the copy area, although there was a line of about 4 people waiting to make copies. After about a fifteen minute wait, the copy machine was available (the gigglers were finished). The store clerk was nice enough to lecture the boys about holding up the line, and she was nice enough to take the people waiting on line to the counter so that she could make their copies. I stayed because I had a lot of copies to make.

You are probably saying why waste your money making copies when you can just have the copies made at school. In some schools, copies are easier to have made than in others. At my current school, all copies have to be made by the secretaries, who are usually very accommodating, but will at times be too busy, or don’t get the copies the way I want the copies, or the machine jams, or the machine is out of paper. For me, it is just easier to go to the copy center get the copies made when and how I want them. As you’ve read in previous entries, the classes are usually very wild. I hate going into a class empty-handed. Kids will usually use the “the teacher did not give us any work (so that is why I was going wild).

Anyway, After making my copies, I went to pay at the counter. Although, this copy center is close to where I now live, I really don’t like this copy center.

the copies are more expensive.
After waiting to use the copy machine, customers than have to go to the counter to stand on line to pay for the copies. Usually, copy centers have copy cards that you insert into the machines and the cost is deducted from the card. However, this center wants to be different.

Anyway, when I approach the counter the clerk (a guy this time), is having a conversation with a customer about freedom. According to the clerk, freedom is being able to call in sick if he does not feel like coming in. Also, the clerk mentioned that freedom is not sitting on a yacht sipping champagne, but telling the boss to f**k off if he wants to quit. The clerk rambled on for about 2 or 3 minutes, before he bothers to come to the cash register so that I could pay for my copies. Apparently, freedom is also understanding that a causal conversation takes precedence over a paying customer.

How are things with my neighbors in the shoebox? A few loud (but short) arguments. And the drains are another annoying problem. I bought cheap strainers to catch the things that could clog up the drains. Problem, no one wants to use them. Mr. 40+ always takes the kitchen strainer out when he is washing his dishes. The young lady Screamer (who seems to shed hair like a sheepdog) does not like to clean her hair out of the strainer so she puts it on the side when she is showering. For the last couple of days, I’ve been pulling the hair out of the drain and leaving it on the side next to the strainer. Only time will tell if that does anything.

Post Date Monday, June 12, 2006 2:27am