Saturday, July 10, 2010

Health Update

Today was one of my less than productive days. This morning after checking my email (and blog comments), Jeff (one of the blog readers) mentioned that the pain I've been having in my groin area might be the start of a hernia. After checking a couple of medical websites, I started to stress out (something I do very easily). I finally called my health care provider. The earliest slot was a Monday "walk in" appointment. The next step was for me to cancel my rowing lessons. I was prepared to "try it" and see what happens, but with the idea of a hernia operation (involving surgery) firmly planted in my head, I was in no mood to risk any physical activity. I cancelled because I would be missing the first lesson and with a waiting list, I didn't want to hold a spot that someone else could use. I can always sign up at another time. Anyway, after cancelling the lessons, I was a bit depressed, so I didn't do much else for the rest of the day except watch a few YouTube videos, clips, and slept the day away. I finally got out of bed about 4pm.

I was hungry having not eaten anything all day. I only had a cup of water and a vitamin. The problem was that I didn't have much in the way of fruit. I've been able to fill up on fruit, but not the vegetables. I'm going to have to moderate my fruits much better. I went through about $40 dollars worth of fruit in a couple of days. I have a big appetite and I would usually have a full plate of food. Now on this liquid diet, I've been trying to fill up a stomach that is very, very used to being very full. the other problem is that the vegetables are not really tasty. My so-called liquid diet has been a bit out of balance with me consuming much, much more fruits Not even a little. Spending decades on sugary, fried, salty, and greasy foods, it will be a while before I can tolerate a vegetable drink. Today, with 3 apples and a handful of spinach made the drink somewhat tolerable, unfortunately, it only produced about 8 oz of juice.

Dietary Changes
I'm adding whole fruits to my diet(as in eating not just juicing them). Considering I haven't been totally on a liquid diet this week. I cheated with eating grapes, peaches, pineapples, and raisins, so the "addition" isn't a big change. Next week, I'm adding oatmeal and cream of wheat to my diet. I will continue with drinking ENSURE to fill up, but I will have to drink much less. I went through a couple of six-packs in two days. I also need to add plain tea to the diet. I should have been drinking tea (as part of the liquid diet), but I got lazy with boiling water. I will dust off my double-insulated thermos -- I might have mentioned it in a previous blog entry (months, or years ago). With the double-insulated thermos, I only need to boil water once, and it will keep it pipping hot for about 6 hours (and keeps cold drinks ice cold for 12 hours). It also has a convenient pump on the top.

I think that's about it. Below is a slideshow I made of the photos of my juicing machine. I don't know if I gave a review of the machine, but if I didn't here it is:

I really like the machine. I like the idea that I can get a good dose of vegetables on a daily basis (something I haven't really been doing). I also like that the machine is relatively quiet. The blender is much, much noisier. The cleanup of the juicer is fairly easy. I originally timed the cleanup of the juice at about 16 minutes. Today, the time was closer to 12 minutes. The half of the time clean comes from cleaning the shredding/strainer disk. The cheap brush provided really isn't doing the greatest job. I'll probably have to use one of my extra toothbrushes to clean the shredding/straining disk. Oh, I noticed that the juicer really should be clean soon after using. Today, I wanted to go to the store. I was smart enough to leave the shredding/straining disk soaking, but leaving the machine with the pulp in cause condensation of the pulp juice into the area under the pulp-collection basket and spinner. I think the juicer is fairly easy to clean if you don't let the food sit in it too long. I can see it becoming a nightmare to clean if the food hardens and dries out.



Post Date - Saturday, July 10, 2010. 1:08AM

6 comments:

Jeff said...

It's best that you did just that! Trust me, I've overdone it before a few times. (Okay, more than a few...)

You're best off getting it checked out before you keep doing the physical stuff.

Good luck on Monday!

A Paperback Writer said...

Maybe you should check with your doctor about your diet, too.
However, I can tell you there are ways to make veggies tasty. Try penzeys.com for spices and herb blends that you can shake on veggies to make them tastier. Also, a splash of vinegar or lemon or lime juice takes away the need for salt on them. Seriously, if you try some herbs and vinegar, you may forget all about wanting butter and salt on veggies. I use these kinds of tricks all the time.
I put a good oatmeal recipe on my blog a few posts back; maybe you should look at it. Whatever you do, don't use those oatmeal packets, as they have all kinds of crap in them. It's much better to buy a carton of quick oats, then add your own honey or brown sugar or raisins or whatever. Sugar's actually a lot safer for you to eat than high fructose corn syrup, which our bodies can't digest and which is in tons of commercial products.

D.Addiction said...

I agree with them and i would also tell you to go and visit the doctor and does not take it so lightly.

Jannx said...

Thanks Jeff. I agree. Sometimes my procrastination, and stubborness gets in the way of good decisions.

Hello Paperback. Thanks for the seasoning suggestions, I'll try them. About the oatmeal packs. I nearly had a fit. Those packs have been extremely helpful with me getting breakfast these past couple of years. Instant oatmeal has allowed a procrastinator like myself to make a (relatively) healthy hot breakfast. Whether it is 3 minutes in the microwave, or boiling hot water for three minutes, I've got a hot meal, when I used to just pick up some junkfood on my way to work. Oh, and the packets help me with portion control. I did look at the label and found that both the instant oatmeal and the cream of wheat I buy both have sugar instead of high fructose corn syrup. However, you were correct, there was a lot of things I couldn't pronounce on the ingredient lists. Hopefully, I can come to a point in my diet (and daily routines) where I can just say no to instant oatmeal, but not this early in my diet. I think I might have more success with slight changes here or there. But instant oatmeal (when I'm working) is needed too much by me.

A Paperback Writer said...

Maybe you could buy a container of instant oatmeal, then scoop the right amount into plastic baggies, add a little cinnamon, and some brown sugar, and use those home-made packages as your instant oatmeal packs.
Or you can buy the packages of "regular flavor" oatmeal and add your own seasonings. Either way you'd avoid the bad stuff and still have the oatmeal.

Jannx said...

Hello Paperback. Your idea about portioning oatmeal into packs and adding my own flavoring is a very good idea. However, knowing myself, it is highly unlikely that I would invest the time (or energy) at this stage in my diet. I'm still very new at staying on the "mostly" liquid diet (not counting eating fruit and raisins). Although I've stuck with the diet for the most part. I've been waiting for any and every excuse to break it. "I didn't have time (or energy) to make my instant oatmeal", is an excuse I see myself saying.

Thanks for the good idea Paperback. I just think I have to stick with knowing my limitations. It may not seem like a lot to make little packs of oatmeal, but I do know myself. If you've read my blog for very long, then you probably know me a bit as well.