Monday, July 12, 2010

Health Update

Today I had a walk in appointment at 3:45pm to see my healthcare provider. I went to have a groin check and a toenail check as well. After about an hour and a half waiting time, the nurse called me in to "check my vitals". Summary:
Weight - 224lbs
Blood Pressure - I don't remember, but she said it was borderline high.

Finally, the doctor called me into his office and asked me to explain my problem. After checking the groin area (and asking for the cough), he told me that I probably didn't have a hernia. But when I told him that there were times when I had a soreness in the area, he told me that I might have pulled (or strained) a muscle there. He also said that the discomfort was probably due to me lifting heaving items -- I suppose he meant like moving a classroom for summer storage. He told me that he would refer me for a sonogram just to make sure there was no damage in the area.

For my toenail, the doctor told me that my nail was growing in crooked and it would have to be removed. Both procedures were able to be scheduled for tomorrow, so I was feeling very happy.

Then, I decided to take Paperback's advice (a fellow blogger)and mention my liquid diet. He mentioned that I should be eating something solid like fish or a slice of wheat bread for protein and carbohydrates. However, I only heard the liquid diet is wrong, stop it. So, I went out and bought a dinner from a buffet-type restaurant along with a caramel, walnut, and chocolate topped brownie. I think I mentioned in a previous blog about looking for any and I many any excuse to break the liquid diet. Well, I found on. Sorry to say, I was really getting annoyed with people eating around me.

So what now? (in terms of the diet), I will of course try again (hopefully sooner rather than later). Considering, I actually weigh 224lbs. For the last couple of months I was under the impression that I only weighed 200lbs. Although, I didn't like the taste of the vegetable juices, nor did I like the hungry feeling I have day after day, nor did I like the annoyed feeling I have walking past people eating. I do have to be honest, I did like the simplicity of the only liquid diet. Before the diet, I would (very easily) rationalize myself into eating unhealthy foods:

"I'll only eat small portions..."
"I'll only eat some of the bad foods..."
"I'll start tomorrow..."
"I'll eat some vegetables with..." Etc...

Even though I didn't have a scale, I could see that I was losing some weight. I'll have to modify my liquid diet. But, my new diet will have to be just as simple as the "liquid only diet". For all the things I didn't like about the liquid diet, I did like the structure. I also liked the idea that I could stuff myself with all the fruit I wanted -- vegetables too, but let's be real, how many people like myself raised on sugar, salt, and greasy foods, really what to stuff their faces with vegetables.

I think I've lost another epal. My new epal wasn't too happy with the liquid diet I was on. He kept wanting me to eat some fast foods with him. After I told new epal that I fell off the wagon, but I still didn't want to go out for a ravioli dinner. I got the impression that he was no happy.

Well, gotta go. Doctor's appointment tomorrow (later today actually).

About the picture. Since I didn't have a photo for this blog entry, I found the attached photo using a toenail+cartoon search.

Post Date - Tuesday, July 13, 201012:39AM

2 comments:

A Paperback Writer said...

One of the problems with a super-restrictive diet is that you do get resentful and then blow it.
Dieting is really hard; I know. I'm overweight myself. But I do know some ways to make veggies tasty, so let me know if you want any tips there.
And do ask your doctor for a healthy diet plan that doesn't involve starving yourself.

Jeff said...

Absolutely--your doctor will tell you (as you learned) that the last thing you want to do is starve yourself. It's all about choosing the right foods in the right amounts and probably a little bit of timing on when you eat.

And exercise! That's always good.