Tuesday, August 23, 2011

East Coast Earthquake

Well, you've probably heard or read about the east coast earthquake that happened today about 1:50pm.  Luckily, there were no major injuries or damages. Where was I when the earthquake hit?  I was on my stationary bike.  I decided to do another 90minute/30minute workout.  The quake struck just when I was nearly finished with ten minutes to go.  At first, I wasn't sure it was an earthquake because I was on the bike; I had to stop peddling to check.  The shaking lasted only a few seconds (maybe 15 or 20 seconds).  Having lived in Japan, I did recognize the shaking motion.  I wasn't too nervous about the quake.  The crazy thing is that I was more nervous about having to leave in the condition I was in.  I was soaked in sweat with nothing on but my underwear and undershirt  -- both in very poor condition.  Also, I was literally soaked and dripping wet.  I really didn't want to walk outside in the condition I was in.  A few years ago, I did buy an emergency pack from the Red Cross, and I do have my important papers on the same shelf like my passport.  The only thing I don't have are my copies of important papers like birth certificate, social security card, credit card information, phone numbers, etc...I've been planning to get those documents copied to keep the copies in the emergency backpack, but I never did.  At the time, it required me to take those documents to get them copied.  However, now that I have a copy feature on my home printer, I really don't have any excuse.  I'll see if I can do it tonight or tomorrow.  Also, now that I'm thinking about it -- considering my first reaction when I thought I might have to leave my apartment dressed the way I was, I need to have an overnight bag packed also in case of an emergency evacuation (stashed on the same shelf of course).  I think I might work on that this week too.  But, I need to buy some clean underwear.

Wt. 219lbs.

No comments: