Tuesday, August 30, 2011

When It Rains...

Here in NYC, we just went through Hurricane Irene.  Some people did better than others.  I was one of the lucky ones.  From my apartment, it seems like just a heavy rainy day.  However, there was flooding in other areas.

I was suppose to see the Spiderman Broadway show, but it was cancelled due to Hurricane Irene.  I ended up staying home and doing some long term organizing of my classroom curriculum.  Finding out that I would be teaching fourth grade this coming school year (with the bulk of my students) had me stressed out.  So, as most of you long time readers know, I went shopping.  I ended up spending about $500 on various 4th grade materials.  Each new item gave me a bit of peace of mind.  My stress decreased as the summer when on.  I also mentioned that I was taking summer professional development at my school -- optional, of course.  One colleague found out the second week into the summer than his new teaching assignment would change.  I smile, I tried to make him feel that the sudden change was a good thing (secretly being grateful that it wasn't me).  Anyway, I continue to come the school during the summer.  Since, I never got the call (or received a message) that my class assignment would change, I continued spending money (I didn't really have, going deeper in credit card debt), buying 4th grade teaching materials.  I even managed to create an academic calendar to help with my long-term planning.  I was able to do long-term planning for most of the subjects that I would be teaching.  It felt good.

Today, was the first (unofficial) day back for me.  Although the school was open for teachers who wanted to come to the workshop, the classrooms were not available at that time, so I couldn't really do anything in terms of setting up or moving furniture.  Teachers official are suppose to come back the day after Labor Day.  There may be a teacher that can fix up a classroom in only two days, but I know that I can't.  Anyway, I've always returned when the school building official opens for administrators and other non-classroom staff (cafeteria, security, secretary, etc...). 

Anyway, I arrived about 8:45am.  I was about 45 minutes later than I wanted to be, but I was not stressed.  I was determined to start off the school year differently than previous "Preparation" days.  I was a bit annoyed that I hadn't returned yesterday, but since the train system near my home was suspended due to the hurricane, I didn't stress about it.  So, how did I do for the first Preparation Day?  If you look at previous blog entries entitled "Preparation", you would notice a theme (or similarity) among them.  This time, I had the plan to unpack better than previous years.  That meant trying to not let myself get distracted to the point of wasting time and accomplishing nothing (and end up stressing out and rushing at the end along with the late comers and poor planners).  This time, I really don't want to be the first one in, and the last one out.

Day 1 was going fairly nicely for me.  When I arrived I went right for the boxes and items piled up in the back of the room.  An hour later that back shelf was cleared off!  Next, I rearranged the furniture in my room.  In the past, I've gotten stuck doing this too, but not this time.  When I finished, I unpacked most of my boxes.  Again, in the past, I've gotten stuck with this too.  However, I managed to unpack and group and organized most of my stuff.  In the past, I've done a sloppy unpacking, straightened up my room and then a day or two later, I would need to unpack a few more boxes, or closet, and then boom, my classroom would look like I hadn't done anything.  Well, not this time.  My classroom is a mess, but it is cluster of piles I know where I'm going to put them.  My goal was to do all of the heavy lifting and heavy moving today, so that I won't need to do that (moving furniture or heavy objects).  Just before the custodians rang the alarm letting us know that we had to leave...immediately, I had just finished moving the last shelving unit.  And yes, I did clear out the cabinet before I moved the shelving unit, so I won't have to do any rearranging later.  

With the alarm going off, that is the signal to all must leave the building.  Normally, when that alarm goes off, I start panicking and rushing to leave.  Today, I was pleased with myself.  I strolled, briefly chatted with colleagues as I left (the way the others do).

Outside the building, one of my colleagues casually asked, "Soo, did you see the new reorganization sheet? It was emailed to us yesterday."  The shocked (but curious) look on my face gave her a quick case of amnesia.  It wasn't until I was on the train, that another colleague gave me the news:

I will be teaching 6th grade this school year.

F**K!!!

Sorry, I don't like to curse, but I was angry.  Now, I'm just kind of numb.  Did I mention that I have evening classes starting tomorrow and Thursday of this week? 

Stress just can't seem to do without me.

1 comment:

SPIDER-MAN TURN OFF THE DARK said...

Sorry about the hurricane cancellation! You can find out full information about exchanging your tickets for a different performance here: http://bit.ly/nQXhwx

Hope to see you swinging by the Foxwoods Theatre soon! :)