Sunday, August 20, 2006


August 20, 2006

Yesterday, I had another peaceful night, but I still woke up tired. I think my body has to readjust to normal sleep patterns and routines. This morning (I’ve finally caught up with my blog entries), is the first time in a long time, I have gotten up without feeling tired. Last night, I went to bed at 12:30. I avoided getting on the internet, knowing that I would not have gotten to bed until 1 or 2 in the morning.

Last night, I rowed for a little over an hour. Then, much to my surprised, the bags of sweat were back (pooled around each ankle and wrist). I noticed that none of the sweat leaked out while I was laying out the plastic tarp, newspapers, etc…I decided to risk undressing in the bathroom. I managed (despite having about a half a pint of sweat in my plastic suit), to not lose a drop on the floor on my way to the bathroom. Nothing on the floor even with running back to my room to make sure my closet was locked. When I leaved overseas on a military base (I was a civilian not military), there would often be PSA (public service announcements) about locking up your valuables when sharing living quarters. Anyway, I got into the bathtub, stripped, and washed off my plastic suit (hung it while I showered), showered, washed the bathtub and sink, all in about 30 minutes. I am going to try doing the same thing again tonight. How did I keep the sweat out? I fold and wrap a washcloth around each ankle, holding it in place with my socks. Then I put a sweatband over each washcloth. For the wrists, I put on a sweatband under and over each sleeve cuff of the plastic suit. I know it sounds kind of stupid, but I am still proud of myself.

Oh, while I was exercising on my rowing machine, I watched the second half of the DVD Van Helsing. Baka!!! (Japanese for stupid). The special effects were nice, but the plot and character situations were stupid. The setting was supposed to have been late 1700’s or early 1800’s but the cast acted like it was present day. Not to mention a few plot points that made this movie a good imitation of Swiss cheese. One character gets thrown through windows and against walls 4 or 5 times and survives, but gets pushed once at the end, and dies. The saving graces of this movie were its special effects and monster make-up.

Now, a quick summary about my day yesterday.

Yesterday morning, I went to the coin Laundromat. I managed to arrived right before a crowd arrived, so my things were washing with they walked in. I was also able to get a couple of good machines.

The property owner’s handyman repaired the rat holes in the bathroom and the kitchen.

I went to Canal Street. I wish I had taken my camera. I walked past the entrance to the Manhattan Bridge. There is a very nice stone plaza at the entrance. From now on, I am going to have to remember to take my camera, even if I am planning to do nothing but go shopping. On the train to Canal Street, there were some changes to service that left me a bit confused. At 125th street, I changed to the A train only to find that the A train was making local stops and following the N train stations. I changed back to the D train only to find that it was following the F train stations. While on the train to Canal Street, I finished the book, The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. The book was okay, not great. It really felt like a kids story. The Harry Potter books have a similar slant, but those books don’t feel like they are kid books. There are 7 titles in the Chronicles of Narnia series. The Lion, Witch book was one of the seven. The next book in the series is called a Boy and his Horse, the first chapter was included in the Lion book. I think that I might get the book at another time of boredom. Right now, the next book on my reading list is John Grisham’s The Broker. It says that it is a New York Times Bestseller. I bought the paperback edition. Paperbacks are easier to carry.

On Canal Street, I went to a large art supply store. It was like being in a department store for art supplies. It had 5 floors. When I was a kid, I really wanted to be an artist, but I was not comfortable with the idea of being a starving artist, so I took the practical route. I became a teacher. Art teacher? No way! Cluster teacher’s seemed to be treated as babysitter’s. Homeroom teacher’s would often be on their own schedules, dropping their kids off early, and picking them up late. Also, in almost every school I’ve been at, art teacher’s always seemed to be the artistic servants to the school. No matter the program, the first words out of someone’s mouth would usually be, oh, why doesn’t the art teacher do that?” Or, “ I’m thinking of this this and that, maybe the art teacher can make it.” If it is your idea, shouldn’t you be the one to make it. I don’t have a problem with asking the art teacher for help, but really, are art teacher’s only in the building to serve the school community. I told myself that I would never be a cluster teacher. Also, they don’t usually seem to have the same respect as the homeroom teacher or the two titan teachers (Reading and Math).

Let me wrap this up. I’ve been on the computer long enough. I really liked the art store, I did not like walking on Canal Street. Too many people with no place to go:

Groups standing on street corners decided which way to go.
Hawkers selling “real” Rolexes, Gucci etc…
Strollers walking in one direction, but looking (and talking in another)
Window shopping wanderers
Snail Steppers

I did pick up a Chinatown tourist guide, and the NYC Summer 2006 Visitor’s Guide.

Let me go. I’ve been on the computer long enough. It is now 1:00pm. They said it will rain. I was thinking of going to Jersey City Mall to look around, maybe see a movie. And of course, I want to visit the Panda Express in the Food Court.

Well, the day is only half over. Let’s see if I actually do something.

I have about 3 blog entries that I have not posted yet. I am debating whether or not to put them all up like I usually do when I get back logged. This time, I thought that I should only post one entry per day. I thought that if anyone is actually reading these, if I posted more than one, they probably would not read them only skim. Let me get off -- I meant, let me finish on the computer. I forgot that a couple of my pen pals from Japan might still be reading. They may not understand casual expressions.

I attached a photo of the kitchen. Even with the rat problem, Screamer still feels comfortable leaving food out in the open. In the photo, you might be able to see opened lunch meat, cheese, and and eggs. The food was left for about 45 minutes ot an hour.

Until next time… or later…

Post Date - Monday, August 21, 2006 3:54pm

No comments: