Sunday, January 27, 2008

Last week was a four-day work week, but it felt like a seven day work week. Quick summary of the work week.

Tuesday, January 22nd.
I called this the last minute day. From a 2AM bedtime, it was last minute this and last minute that. I received a call in my classroom letting me know that a art program rep. would be coming to do a project with my students for the whole day. Moments later, an announcement was made over the PA system that all prep periods would be used for Data Analysis meetings. So, what was the meeting about. After being told that it would only take a few minutes, we were told about the program we had already been told about. "suggestions" for using the Internet for helping our kids with listening practice exercises -- again, we were already showed the "suggestions". In the end, a few minute meeting (that was a total waste of time) took, about 40 minutes. After school (with the Quality Review around the corner), I decided to finally tackle my teacher's corner. I left the building about 8:05PM. I decided to stop off at Target for some black slacks. My "work clothes" had holes in them. I could not put off the shopping procrastination any longer. While I was in Target, I also bought some organic skim milk and had my blood pressure medicine prescription refilled. I was home about 10PM.

Wednesday, January 23th.
My kids were okay. A bit hyper, but relatively okay. There was a school wide Math test, so the literacy program was cancelled. Yippee!!!
During the test, I received a phone call from AP1, she wanted me to know that the Art Lady (from yesterday) was returning to finish the project. Even though the project was basically finished. The "Art Lady" did most of the work herself, so I did not even bother to take a photo of the work. For some strange reason, the lady's classroom management was almost identical to the "Art Lady" from last school year. Different lady, but the same "limited" understanding of classroom management. You really can't have a project that requires most of the students to sit and do nothing but wait, and watch. I just started teaching around the Art Lady. During the reading period, I had the students do independent reading. During Social Studies, I had them do social studies activities from the textbook. Etc...
During lunch, Drama Queen put on a show. And I had had enough!!! Sticky Fingers -- since she has not stolen anything recently, I may rename her "Giggles". Came crying that Drama Queen was telling everybody to not be her friend. DQ said that she was not talking about Giggles, but another "Giggles" near her home. I called the friends over and asked each of them how many "Giggles" did they know, each said only one, so DQ changed her tactic. Now, DQ said that Giggles started it. When that did not wash, then DQ turned on the waterworks. I had had enough. I (verbally) tore into her like a bear on piece of fish. "Turn it off, and shut it up" (not exactly my words, but very, very close). I try to never allow the Cafeteria Drama to come into the classroom. Whatever happens in Vegas stays in Vegas. Also, whatever happens in the cafeteria, stays in the cafeteria...if possible. Kids often have a bad habit of carry unnecessary (emotional)baggage around for days. If you are not careful, you could spend your afternoon dealing with something stupid that happened in the lunchroom...last week, and now they are fighting about it. So, if possible keep it where it started.

Thursday, January 24th.
The kids started out extremely hyper. I felt another one of those extreme days. Instead of using the "reward with praise tactic", I did the "excessive praise with promise of reward" tactic. Quick note-- excessive should not be confused with extreme. The tactic worked. My day turned out (relatively) nice. One incident. During the literacy program (where the kids are grouped in different classrooms), a couple of my students (Cackler and Sneak) were accused of stealing a dollar from a student's desk. Long story short, with my process of elimination/detective skills -- add detective to the teacher's growing list of responsibilities (parent, referee, bodyguard, police, babysitter, guidance conselor, negotiator, maid, servant, etc...). Cackler first said she had no money, but when I said that I would be in the lunchroom to see if she spends any money, she changed her story to her mother gave it to her. I said that I would call her mother to ask. Cackler changed her story to she was saving the money from a long time ago. Anyway, mom made a surprise visit -- AP2 had called on an unrelated incident. Mom, and Cackler put on a very good show. I had to contain myself from smiling. Not that I get off on seeing a child crying, but all of my phone calls, and my letters, and my student written (confessional)letters yielded nothing. But now, here was the Cackler crying her eyes out. And mom, going on and on about a change in the behavior. Mom even gave me her new cell phone number. Mom finished with a "wait til you get home" ending. Cackler had to stand in front of the class and apologize to everyone. My school day ended very nicely. :)

Friday, January 25th.
Cackler arrived late with a smile on her face, and the same attitude she has always had. A few minutes later, she is waving $2 to her friends with a "look what I got" speech. It wasn't even 8:30AM and already she was aggravating me and disrupting my class. I was pissed!!! I couldn't even get a day of good behavior. I called Cackler and asked for the money. I asked where she got the money from. "My mother gave..." quickly became "I mean my brother gave it to me".

Did I call the mom?



No.


Why not?


I knew the behavior would not change from the show that was given yesterday. I was hoping for a couple of days at least, but I knew the behavior wasn't going to change. So, what is the purpose of exposing my hand too quickly. I explained to Cackler that her "early morning show off" the very next morning after her mom made a big show in front of the classroom in front of the teacher and AP2, would embarrass her mother if I was to call. I further explained that mom may not do much about the constant complains from the teacher, but if she is called out for the show in front of the classroom. She (mom) would be upset with her daughter. I could see on Cackler's face the rusty mental gears turning in her head. She understood. So why not call mom immediately. For me, it is a matter of survival. I play the hand that I've been dealt. If I reveal my hand too quickly, then I have little (if any) cards left in play. I was honest with Cackler when she asked what I was going to do with the money. I gave the options of a teacher's response or an honest response.

She chose the honest response. I told her that I would use that money as much as I could. Meaning, the threat of a phone would be in play until she forced me to call. She smiled, went back to her desk and was (relatively) good for the rest of the day.

Other quick Friday notes.
The Daily School Bulletin had a list of the results of the "Dry Run Quality Review". Things that teachers had to have before the Quality Review.

This post is long enough so I am going to skip what would be another 30 minutes. Besides, this blog really is suppose to be about my boring life, my job really is not meant to be a main focus. Suffice it to say (I hope I used that phrase correctly), teachers could do one of 2 things, laugh our head off, or beat our heads against the wall (or a combination of the two).

Oh, and four of my boys were suspended for writing curse words on the walls in the bathroom. Since I was focused on helping my students update their portfolios, I relaxed my guard. Normally, I only allow one boy and one girl out of the room at a given time (but not if they are from the same table). Students also have to sign out in the sign out book. I took it personally that it was all my boys, not even other teachers with wilder classes. However, no one (not even the principal) attached any blame to me, I was happy about that. The end result was that 4 of my boys would have a "Principal's Suspension" for (I was told from the security guard) 5 days. Wow! A part of me was annoyed that 3 of the 4 are not problem kids (just talkers). If I could have chosen a 5-day suspension for any of my students, 3 of those boys would not have come close to being on my list.

I was out of the school building about 8:30PM. I was fixing my classroom library. I finally got around to putting labels on all of my library baskets. As I was leaving a couple of teachers were still in their rooms -- beating their heads against the wall :), since their classroom are on the list for a closer review and the school's grade would be based on what was seen in their rooms, they wanted to make sure they tackled everything on that last minute list. Although the school would be opened on Saturday, none of the teachers, I spoke to said that they would be there.

Time for me the go.


Post Date - Sunday, January 27, 2008 1:48PM

No comments: