Thursday, September 27, 2007

Another bit of a relapse. This week was suppose to be me getting organized, but from the posting time, you can see that I have fallen into my old habit. This week, I have been falling asleep within about an hour of arriving home, only to be up at 2 or 3 in the morning. This morning (or would that be yesterday's morning), I was up until about 5am, then slept for about an hour. I missed my early train, so I had to take the later train to work.

As for work, the stress is the same, but much less. Same nonsense, but much less. I hate to admit (because it could change at any time), I have a much better group of kids this year. My problem is that I am not enjoying the benefit as much as I could. I am really going to have to get out of this negative sleep pattern.

On Friday, I agreed to participate in the admin's "curriculum night". Teachers set up displays in the gym and parents come to listen to a presentation about what is being taught. The other two third grade teachers didn't want to participate. Actually, neither did I. I really don't like the micromanaged style of this admin. In other schools (I've been to), "Open House" is where parents are invited to come in and look around. Here, "Open House" is at assigned hours for assigned grades, where the parents come in and sit in the back of the room during the lesson. Now, another day has been created for what could have been done in a single day.

About 4:30pm, an office staffer stopped by my classroom to give me a sign and a blank presentation board. If I was smart, I would not have even been in the building at that time. I just left the board there. I wasn't about to do any display decorating that evening. When I get to school, I won't have any time during the day to do decorating, and this "curriculum night" will be from 3pm to 5pm.

Enough about school. I still have not gotten around to setting up my laptop for grading and classroom administration organization. The tech guy/computer teacher has volunteered to set up my laptop for wireless connection, but I haven't gotten around to sending it to him. He clearly knows computer stuff, but at the same time, he seems to fumble through things from time to time. He told me that he has to download drivers. The couple of times I've turned on the laptop, there is an annoying flashing message that wireless is available. One time, I did click and there were a lists of wireless connections (about 6 "secured" and one free). A part of me doesn't care because the laptop will only be used in my classroom for classroom stuff, but at the same time, I am a bit (just a bit) particular about my things.

Wrap up. I finished school about 3:15. I am usually a few minutes early dismissing my students. Dismissal time is a madhouse. Basically only the front two main entrances can be used. Actually that is a major improvement. When I first started working at this school a couple of years ago, only one exit (the main entrance to the building could me used (rain or shine). Now, that was a mad house in the extreme. Sorry, I got sidetracked.

I will usually wait until about 10 or 15 minutes after 3pm before I leave the "non pick ups" at the security guards area. After dismissal, I chatted/vented with the other 3rd grade teacher. We are now exactly across the hall from each other. When I call her (on the phone), I can see her getting up to answer the phone. My door is in the front of my room, her door is at the back of her room. And no, I don't call often.

After chatting, and resting. I finally got the energy to get up and start getting my room in order for tomorrow. I wash the board and put up the morning do now on the board. I also clean off my desk at the end of each day. If I don't clean off my desk, my desk would look like my apartment (piles and piles of well organized messes). Usually, I like having everything layed out that I will need for the next day. Anyway, about 6pm, the Firedrill bell began to ring. That is the custodians' way of saying "get out" now. I stopped off at the store to buy snack for my good students. This year, I want to move away from food rewards, but at the moment, it is too convenient to give up. Hopefully, I will be starting at the gym next week, so I will need to change the reward to avoid "temptation".

I got home about 7:30pm. I was too tired to fit dinner. Actually, I was too tired to even microwave dinner. I ended up eating a couple of bowls of cold cereal. I fell asleep about 8:30pm. I was up again about 2am. I will try to shower and and lay down for a couple of hours. I will try to be in bed by 4:20am. These last couple weeks, I have been able to take the earlier train, which allows me a relaxing 45 minutes in the morning to get organized in my classroom. However, yesterday (and today), I will have to take the later train, which only gives me 15 or 10 minutes set up time.

Well, I better go. Long day today.


Post Date - Thursday, September 27, 2007 3:59am

No comments: