Sunday, September 23, 2007

I am not in the best of moods. Today, my plan was to finish up my lesson plans for next week. I assumed that with most of the planning done, it wouldn't take long. I was wrong. I finish planning and typing up my homework sheet about 6:30pm. I started about 1pm. Oh, correction. I stopped at 6:30pm, but I did not finish. I didn't bring the skills book home, so the skills lessons are blank. My granny cart was heavy. I thought if I left one book, my cart would at least be a little bit lighter.

As for Science, after a couple of hours, I gave up. I was annoyed and disgusted. What I eventually figured out is that my school will be following the new NYC science program. There is the kit component that requires the students to do hands on experimenting. Nothing wrong with that (assuming the kids are not bouncing off the wall). Anyway, I think the idea is good one. I actually have a better class than I had last year. Shhh, I have to remember that I don't like to say that out loud. With this group, I think I could do hands on activities as well as art projects.

Anyway, back to the science planning. The planning is a nightmare. There are bits and pieces on this sheet and that. And there is a new science textbook that is suppose to supplement the program, but nowhere is there a guide to know what chapters, or units. Yes, I did figure out the basic match. However, there is more....The first unit is measuring. Yes, measuring (not included in any chapters of the supplemental text). The first few weeks is supposed to be devoted to measuring, and developing the rationale for standard units of measuring. Sounds like math doesn't it. Third graders are expected to cut glue or tape (they don't say which) their own tape measure. Yes, there is more. So far, my school has the some of the kit components, and .....Let me stop.

I forgot, this blog is about my boring life, not this job related stuff. Basically, I like things nice and organized, and I get annoyed when they aren't.

So, my day was spent mostly in front of my computer planning lessons for next week. I have most of it done. I planned science up to Wednesday, when I realized that I will probably have to bounce back and forth between the old and new textbook. I don't have the Test Prep Skills done, but the book layout is very easy to follow. It shouldn't take long to fill in the lessons in my planbook.

Next week, my plan is to start trying to gather materials, ideas, and resources that will let me spend next weekend doing enough lessons for the month of October. I would really like to have a month of lesson ideas. These last couple of weeks were minimally stress free having a relatively clear idea of the lessons that I wanted to teach.

Tomorrow, I have my doctor's appointment to find out the results of my tests. I was planning to go to the laundry, but it is now too late. Hopefully, I will be able to go tomorrow evening after I return from the doctor. With the doctor's report. I will have no excuses for not going to the gym. It has been almost two months since I paid for a preminum membership (private section of the locker room with sauna and steam room) to the local Y, and I have yet to step foot to begin working out. I hope I will be able to start October 1st.

Well, it is almost 8pm. I guess I'll zap something for dinner, pack my granny cart for tomorrow. I will also iron my clothes for tomorrow. It would be nice to relax in the bath.

Oh, speaking of zap. I had to change my halogen bulb. I love my halogen light. It is very bright, and it acts like a bug zapper. I must have shaken out 15 or 20 dead bugs from the light. Bees, flies and even a cricket (or was it a grasshopper), have all ran, jumped, or flew "into the light". I always thought that seeing a bright light before you die was a good thing. I guess that applies to people not insects.

Post Date - Sunday, September 23, 2007 8:17pm

No comments: