Friday, September 28, 2007

I'll have to keep this short before the sansman continues his call.

Today, was a bit more stressful than it has been in the past couple of weeks. No, nothing like the past (school) year. But a bit stressful.

Last night, although I was planning an early bedtime, I fell into my old sleep pattern. After a Healthy Choice frozen meal dinner, I was out like a light about a half hour later. Then up for the night from 2am to about 5am. These last few days, I have not been able to catch my early train. I really started to get used to 45 minute prep time. Hopefully, I wll be able to return to the earlier train. Considering I did not do a proper clean up and set up for Monday, will mean that I will definitely need to make the early train. Unfortunately, the new train schedule goes into affect on Monday (I think).

Yesterday was the "Curriculum Night"(3pm to 6pm). Teachers were asked to do a presentation in the gym about the curriculum and materials that each grade would be using this year. Each grade had a table to put up a display. I think that since I was the only third grade teacher that was willing to participate, and I am fairly organized (in school), admin. did not push for me to decorate a three-panel display. Anyway, I arrived in the gym about 3:30pm. I was finished with dismissal about 3:15, then I needed to dig up some "visual aids" to display(homework sheet, reading log form etc...). I also wanted a bathroom break. Unfortunately, teaching often means planning bathroom breaks around the schedule you are given. That probably was more information than you wanted to know. Sorry, I got sidetracked. Anyway, so, how was the Curriculum Night? I sort of liked the idea (once I got there). I felt like a saleman. In the almost 2 hours I was there, I had two parents come to my table. They were not even parents of any of my students. After the 3pm pick up rush, the place quickly turned into a ghost town. About 5:15pm, I returned to my classroom to clean up and prep for Friday. I was home about 8pm. Dinner was a Healthy Choice frozen meal.

My workday (Friday) started with my usually hot cereal on the Metro North. I think I mentioned the benefit of styrofoam cups form the 99 cent store. For a while now, I have been, making instant oatmeal and cream of wheat. Do to my usually morning rush, I don't have time to sit and eat breakfast, that is until I started making the hot cereal to go. I boiled some water, stired in the instant oatmeal (or cream of wheat), and packed it in my granny cart. I have a hot breakfast that holds me until lunch time.

Today, Admin required that all grades (3rd to 6th) provide students with an assessment test in Math, with all of the City-wide processes in place. The math coach was responsible (I use that term losely). He photocopied the last "end of the year" assessment test. How can you give a test (and group students) based on how they do on a test they only know about 10%. The other 90% has not been taught yet. I was livid watching the frustration on the faces of the students. And those that were not mature to verbalized their difficulty, did it physically. Once the "hyper kids" got started, they did not stop. I ended up keeping in four students for lunchtime detention. After dismissal, one of the other third grade teachers came to visit my classroom. Her room doesn't have airconditioning. We ened up talking for almost 2 hours. As a result, my plans to get organized (class room prep and clean up) didn't get done. Promptly at 6pm, the firedrill went off. That meant it was time to get out. I walked the other third grade teacher to the train station. She did not have an umbrella. I then walked to my train station in the opposite direction.

For dinner, I had Chinese takeout. I was planning to grade some papers, but I ended up on the computer. Fighting sleep. I am now going to call it a night, so that I am not tired tomorrow.


Post Date - Friday, September 28, 2007 10:37pm

No comments: