Friday, September 21, 2007

TGIF. I made it to another weekend. I will have to keep this entry short. I can already feel the pull of sleep taking over. I am sure the next doze will put me out for the night. Quick cap before the sandman calls.

Kids were a bit hyper today (nothing compared to last year). I kept 4 students in for lunchtime detention for not finishing their work. My workday ended at 2:20. After about an hour of aimless wandering and chatting with colleagues, I finally buckled down and tackled my classroom. I finally connected my four computers from summer storage. It took me about an hour to unpack the parts and cables and to connect everything. I thought it would have taken less time, but no. I finished about 5pm. I then went to work on cleaning up my teacher's area. Oh, I forgot to take pictures. For the first time this (school) year, my desk is cleared. I like having a cleared surface. I don't like clutter. If things don't have a place, then I will usually end up creating piles, until the piles become mounds, then mounds become messes where I can't find anything.

I don't think I like the new layout of my classroom, I've been forced to split my teacher's area into two. Last (school) year, I had the back corner as my teacher's corner (the sink didn't work, so I just had my things collected in that corner. However, this year, I could not use the corner because the sink not only works, but the water fountain shoots water about 4ft. into the air. Since the sink is accessible to the students, I did not want my things in that corner. I ended up moving my desk and shelving space near the window. I was planning to move my copier to the area, but recently I notice the heat and sunlight from the windows. Also, in the winter the heat from the radiators will be on, it really isn't a good place for a copy machine. Since I rarely (if ever) sit at my desk during the school day (except when the kids are not in the room), having my desk by the window didn't bother me (other than having my space divided). Today, while cleaning up, I finally decided to keep my copier in the corner near the sink, but not where water can get on it...I hope. I also moved my reproducibles to that corner as well. For the past couple of weeks, I have had to hike back and forth across the room each time I needed to make copies. Now that I have the basic layout of my classroom worked out, I now have to work on the minor (but numerous) loose ends.

My goals now? I hope I will be able to complete my lesson plans for next week. Monday, I have to go to the doctor to get the results of my tests. However, I want to use the rest of the week, to do preliminary planning that will allow me to plan my lessons for the whole month of October. If I can plan lessons for the whole month in advance, I will be stress free and able to attend the gym. That means that I will have to get out of the school building at a decent hour. With my laptop in the classroom, I can do put the students grades into a grading program, and keep up with the loads of paperwork that is now expected.

Starting next week, yes, (once again), I will be trying to start exercising again. I will also be buying more Healthy Choices meals and oatmeal. I like the HC meals, but the portions are soooo small. I am hoping I can use the oatmeal as a midday snack after 3pm. For the past couple of years, I've been eating oatmeal (alternating with cream of wheat) for breakfast (Monday through Friday).

Quick wrap up. I packed a few textbooks in my granny cart. My school is using a new hands on science program and a new reading program, which means new materials to learn. I was out of the school about 6:30pm. Today was the first time since school started that the custodians didn't use the fire drill alarms as a "get out now" message. After stopping for some beef lo mein to go, I was back home about 8pm. After eating, I am posting.


Post Date - September 21, 2007 10:00pm

No comments: