Thursday, August 09, 2007

Another Lazy Day. Maybe I should just change the title of this blog. Today was basically more procrastinating. Commuted to class. There was a fire drill. Strange, the high-schoolers seemed to not have a lot of practice with fire drills. Announcement at 12:30 that the school would be having a fire drill/early dismissal. Someone had already mentioned the fire drill to the instructor 10 or 12 minutes before the announcement was made.

At about 12:40, another announcement had to be made because teachers were allowing their students to leave early minus the teachers. 12:45, an announcement was made that the fire drill began, and teachers were reminded that they needed to leave the building with the students. Outside people were congregating on the front steps, so security, and office staff made repeated announcements that everyone had to walk across the street. To be honest, I couldn't tell who the teachers or the students were. Although, the teachers were probably not the ones lighting up cigarettes while they waited for the all clear. After a few minutes, the okay was given. Students were allowed to go home (the ones that did not already leave), and the teachers were told that there was a faculty meeting in the library.

Just in case I did not mention it, the high school was in session for summer school. The Professional Development class was held here because the building was open for the summer. So, the annoucements really did not apply to the Professional Developement class I was attending.

Since today was Thursday, the instructor told us at about 1:50 that we could start cleaning up. The class was packed and out by 2:00pm. Our homework assignment due on the last day is to write up a lesson plan with art as the topic. The instructor needs a copy from each student just in case the Board of Ed. wants evidence that we have been "professionally developed". The instructor also asked that each student provides 17 copies. Each student will give each student a copy of his (or her) lesson plan, so that each student has a set of lesson plans related to art. Nice.

After class, I walked to 72nd street again, this time with a purpose. I wanted to stop at Barnes & Noble Bookstore. I wanted to buy a weight training workout book. It has been many years since I've been in the gym, with only a very vague idea of what to do, and where to start. Also, since I finished reading the Sword of Shannara, I wanted to find my next commuter read. So how was the Sword of Shannara? It was very long and took a long time to get interesting. I really liked the last 1/3 of the book. I was thinking about getting the single-bound edition of the Shannara series, but I passed. I have not developed into a mature enough reader to handle that behemoth. I think I've mentioned that I am only a part-time reader. I read during my commuting time on trains. So after milling around the books for a while, I finally settled on the following:

1. Fitness Weight Training (2nd. ed.) Baechle & Earle
2. Dragon Avenger (Book 2) E.E. Knight

What happened to Harry Potter book 7? Since I already read detailed synopsises on the internet, I am going to postpone reading it until the details are less clear. With my bad memory, that won't take long.

After B&N, I took the express back to Yonkers, and walked the rest of the way home. On the way home, I ordered a broiled chicken from the local Chinese takeout. At home, I microwaved rice and frozen spinach for dinner.

I was planning to go to the gym, but I was too tired, so I will have to try again tomorrow. I also didn't do any rowing. I'm thinking of maybe going to the gym tomorrow morning (or as close to morning as I can get). My plan is to try going to the gym in the mornings until school resumes. Tomorrow is supposed to be apartment clean up day. Saturday is supposed to be my visit to the mall a little further north, if the timing works out, this place will become my new best place. I liked the Jersey City Mall, but it was about a 2 hour travel time (one-way). Four hours in total is too much for some Panda Express.


Post Date - Thursday, August 9, 2007 11:39pm.

No comments: