Thursday, August 30, 2007

Preparation Week has been anything but...So five days to get ready for the new school year, lets see what I've accomplished. I wanted to start last Wednesday, but no one was in the building.


Monday - I arrived to get a day early start. This Monday, I was told by my principal that I would have to relocate to another room. Monday was spent packing up the things in my closets and cabinets.

Tuesday - All day training for the new reading program. No moving, no unpacking, and no setting up.

Wednesday - Day 2 training for the new reading program. I was told that movers would come (and I could skip the training to supervise the placement of my materials). However, no movers came. I was told that if my things were not moved by Thursday, then, I would just stay in my old room. No unpacking, and no setting up of bulletin boards.

Thursday - Things finally came to a bit of a head between the two admins. (from my school and the charter school coming in). I could go into details of the conflicts, and confusions over the moves, but I think I should keep those aspects out of my blog. This blog is supposed to be about my boring adventures, so I will stick to that. Quick summary of my day.

Orientation of faculty members in the auditorium at about 9:10am. During the orientation, I am notified that the movers have arrived. They were planning to move my things out of my old room on the 3rd floor right wing of the building, so they (the charter school can set up). However, there was a conflict...long story short nothing was moved. Up until today, I was reluctant to touch anything out of fear of being stuck with having to move everything. I also did not start putting up bulletin boards in the new room out of fear that I would have to stay in the old room. The conflict may have been settled, so I started setting up the bulletin boards in the new new. I was told this evening that "movers" would arrived 8:30am to move my things from the old room. What movers (Charter school or BOE)? Sorry, I don't know. Tomorrow is Friday, the last day of the week. School starts on Tuesday of next week(Monday is a holiday - Labor Day [No school]). While other teachers are putting the final touches on their classrooms, I will be starting to unpack tomorrow...if I am lucky. I will also be lucky to get to spend the Saturday of the three day weekend in school continuing to set up my classroom. Lucky me! :(

Oh, I almost forgot, during the welcome back orientation, the principal announced that the new reading program that we had two days of training on, might not be able to be done in our school (funding would only be provided if our school was a lower performing school). BOE will make a decision September 6th. Another thing, apparently someone (it wasn't me), sent a letter to the heads of the BOE complaining about being coersed into coming to school two days early. After giving a speech basically about keeping business in the house (and how any problems can be solved inside, she distributed photocopies of the letter to everyone attending the faculty meeting. I am not sure what the purpose was of giving each person a copy of the letter for, however, it did put to rest any lingering doubts about pursuing a grievance against the principal for the "D" rating I received.

What is the plan for tomorrow? If I get a good night's sleep. Hopefully, I will have a lot of energy tomorrow. My plan (assuming the movers arrive at 8:30am), as they are bringing the items into the room, I will be putting things away and in the place I most expect the items to stay. Having spent 3 days after school was over, carefully labeling (most of) the boxes, I should have everything mostly in place by 4 or 5pm. Saturday, I will come in to do the finishing touches, or finish the loose ends.


Post Date - Thursday, August 30, 2007 8:04pm

No comments: