Friday, August 17, 2007

Today was my doctor's appointment.

Last night, with full access to my couch, I feel into an old habit...I fell asleep there. I woke up 12 something, and I watched a PBS show on Fidel Castro. It was very interesting. I ended up going to bed about 3am. I woke up about 9am. Since I had to catch the Metro-North, I did not have time for a bath, I settled for a shower. I arrived at the medical center about 11:15am. My appointment was for 12:00pm. I waited in the nearby park for awhile.

First I waited about 10 minutes in the hall on the main floor. I was first called in to register and given my patient rights booklet. Next, I was sent upstairs to the waiting area for about a 30 minute wait. First I went to the pre-screening where the nurse (or doctor) asked basic medical questions. I was a little bit uncomfortable with the door wide open, and the assistant standing there like she had nothing better to do. Once I mentioned the occasional groin discomfort, the assistant went an waited in the other room...which was nice of her. The assistant took my bloodpressure. Since my bloodpressure was a little high, she took it a couple of times, then called the nurse (or doctor) to take my pressure again to be sure. The results were the same (140/100). Then, it was back to the waiting area. Then, my PCP (primary care provider) doctor interviewed me about my medical history. He checked my bloodpressure (138/100), then gave me the basic medical check-up. My weight was 204lbs, and my BMI was 32%. Long story short, the doctored believes that the medical problems that I complained about is probably due to my weight and high bloodpressure. He gave me a prescription for some medicine to hopefully lower my bloodpressure. I will have to return tomorrow. Since no one reminded me (and I forgot) about not eating the night before, I will have to return for my blood test tomorrow. One Monday, I will have to make an appointment for the X-rays. The x-ray equipement is located at another facility. I also mentioned the problems that I have been having with my knees, so I will have x-rays on my knees. The doctor told me that I really have to start exercising, but not to start until I get the results of the x-rays. However, he did say that I should start doing sit ups. After the doctor's check-up (and lecture about low salt and more exercising), I was back in the waiting area. The last check was having an EKG. Luckily, my EKG results were normal...whatever that means.

I left feeling good. Hearing the EKG results were normal made me feel better. I decided to walk a few blocks. I was out of the medical center at about 2:20pm. Since I was hungry -- I only ate a couple of bowls of cold cereal and had hot green tea. I went to have -- sorry to say this. I had a hamburger and fries from a local restaurant. Starting tomorrow, I am going to really try to eat healthy. I have to return on Sept. 25th to see if my blood pressure goes down.

After lunch, I decided to walk a little more to hopefully walk off some of that hamburger. I walked from 150th street to 191th street. I took the #1 train to the Bronx. At the Bronx, I decided to have my prescription filled at Target. I was expecting to have the prescription filled sometime tomorrow, or a few days later. I was surprised when the woman said that it would be ready in 20 minutes. Since I had time to kill I wandered Target, and on an impulse, I bought a few things:

* Aller-ease Mattress cover for my futon. The vinyl cover with the blanket on time didn't feel comfortable. This cover is thinner. I will move the vinyl cover to my bed. I already have a cheap plastic cover I've been using since I got the bed sometime last year. The plastic cover on my bed now was from the 99 cent store.

* 3 Target-mixed CDs (Totally Awesome 80s Mix Tape, 80s New Wave: Party Mix, and Turn up the Sexy:Smooth R&B)

* A backrest pillow

* A Playstation 2 with a couple of games (God of War 2, and Fantastic Four)

Well, I better go. I have to eat dinner. I won't be able to eat anything until tomorrow morning after the bloodtests. Oh, I almost forgot. Tomorrow I have a driving lesson. I want to brush up on my driving skills, so that I can start renting a car.


Post Date - Friday, August 17, 2007 8:28pm

No comments: