Thursday, June 21, 2007

A bee in the queen bee's bonnet. Last night, after stressing over my "D" rating, and dozing off, I woke up about 2am and decided to write a letter to my principal explain why I thought I did not deserve a "D" rating. I also started looking for my evaluations from my 3 years of teaching before I moved to Japan. In end, I did not return to sleep. I've been up since about 2 this morning. I managed to write the letter. Basically, it was basically the previous blog entry. My plan was to give copies to the two assistant principals and the UFT rep. the first thing in the morning. Would you believe that the #1 train took this morning to have train difficulty. I was stressing that here I was showing a little bit of backbone (a rarity for me), and would be arriving late to school. Kind of deflates the message when your first point of contention is that I have perfect attendance. When the train finally arrived at the 125th station, I took a cab to the school only about a 7 walk. It cost me $6. However, I managed to punch in at 7:59. Technically not late.

I photocopied my letter. Unfortunately, today was Graduation Day for the 6th graders. So, I had to hold off giving the letters until lunch time. At lunch, I gave the APs the letter, and the Principal's secretary. About 45 minutes later, I was asked to come to the queen bee's office...immediately.

She started off telling me that she would not address the points 17 in all. What she did scold me on was breaking administrative protocol. I made the mistake of sending copies of the letter to the APs. She felt I was trying to get the APs to tell her what to do. That was not even my intention. My intention was letting everyone have a clear picture of what was going on. A phone call today, can become a "I didn't say that". Just a quick review:

I was told that the reason for the "D" rating was the students' portfolios and my refusal to attend professional development even though newly-appointed teachers are not required to attend the after hours sessions because we are on a different lesser pay scale.

Back to the office scolding. As the principal continued to lecture me, the AP1 jumped in to support the principal (just think "Yes Man" in low heels). I was told that AP1 likes her job too much to ever be anything more than an AP. AP1 has been an AP for about 8 years...I think. AP2 is relatively new only just appointed. She was a 5th grade teacher a couple of years ago at this school. AP2 was in the main office, but she did not participate in the emasculation of me. AP2 once mentioned that she was low on the totem pole. She is basically a secretary, in the admin circle, she has her claws, so she is by no means helpless. However, I suspect she was against the "D" rating. As the other two admin grilled me, she just came in picked up her cup of (whatever), and her copy of my letter and left the office. I don't know why, but it sort of felt good when I saw her quietly take her copy of my letter and leave the office without saying anything. Sometimes, actions speak louder than words. I believe that when AP2 is in agreement, she is right there in the thick of things. However, I also have the impression that she would not open her mouth to say anything negative about the principal even if her life depended on it. AP1 on the other hand, seems a little too eager to be the hatch woman/yes woman. Sorry, sidetracked.

Back to the scolding. Basically, I can't send copies to the subordinates, if the principal is in anyway involved, but I can send a copy of an issue that does not relate to the principal (to the principal) because she is in charge.

After the scolding about sending copies about her personal conversation with me, then it was about getting the union rep involved. Blah, blah.....she (the principal) is responsible, and her job is on the line...blah, blah......decision have to be decisive..blah, blah, blah. Then...

The principal told me that she did not think my work was unsatisfactory. She also said that she is not disputing the points I made on my list. She recognize that I work hard, and I work long hours. But as a new teacher, it is expected that a "D" grade will be given. Although the grade label is doubtful, it does not mean that she is doubting my abilities. It was suggested that the principal give new teachers the "D" rating to cover her back. Because if she doesn't give a "D" rating now, "if something happens in the future, then the opportunity will have past to do anything". Then...

My rating was that I was not a team player. She is trying to build community, and she is not sure I am community material. I spend too much time in my room alone not getting involved in school activities. Like the wine and cheese celebration for the higher math scores this year, or the Father Daughter Dance, etc...Oh, and me attending the PTA meetings doesn't count.

I could write more, but it is late. I think the gist has been given.

Oh, one last thing. While digging for supporting documentation, I came across my college transcript. If I read my transcript correctly, I have 21 credits already towards my Master's Degree. Wha????

Long story short. When I got my undergraduate degree, I continued onto get my Master's degree without a break. Unfortunately, I got feed up with being a professional student. I wanted to start working, so I dropped out of college. It is good to know that I have a good headstart.

Post Date - Thursday, June 21, 2007 9:20pm

No comments: