Wednesday, June 13, 2007

The math scores were given out today...sort of. Teachers were only given the level equivalent of the score. Again, a quick recap of the scoring system:

Level 4 = Above grade level
Level 3 = On grade level
Level 2 = approaching grade level
Level 1 = far below grade level

My class results:

Level 4 = 1 student
Level 3 = 16 students
Level 2 = 4 students
Level 1 = 1 Student

So what does this mean? Here, only students that have a test grade equivalent of 1 will be held over, summer school will be manditory. I was told that if the child does pass summer school then the child will in all likelyhood go on to the next grade.

Anything else?

Oh yes, one of my students was suspended....I think. Out of sight, out of mind. Background info?

After spending days eating lunch with my students with the fear that they would run wild, I decided the risk eating lunch in my room alone. Why don't I learn? I arrived early to pick up my students. After going through a couple of "he hit me", she pushed me", so and so made me scrape my knee". Immature talking timmy, is fighting the girl who is boarderline obsessed with him. He is slapping, scratching and hair pulling...in other words, he was fighting like a girl. I think I've written about this child in previous blog entries. No, not Chipmunk. The one who crawled under the table and cried when I would not let him go to the bathroom when he wanted to go (the boy's bathroom pass was out), the one who often threw temper tantrums when he did not get his way. Anyway...

While the fight was going on, and the school aids were standing on the side not wanting in get involved. I grabbed Talking Timmy's wrist, and he decided that he did not want me touching him. He wanted to keep hitting the girl who often acts like she is in love with him. He could spit on her and she would probably return to him.

As I grabbed Timmy's wrist, he starts fighting me. The easiest reaction would have been a knee to the stomach, I think he would have dropped like a stone, however, I was limited in my options to not end up on the evening news, "teacher assaults student". And the morning papers would probable show a hurt looking sad child who had no idea why his teacher brutally assaulted him.

This was not the first time I've had a physical encounter with a student. My thing is that I will let the student go when he (or she) has calmed down. However, the school aids had already called for the security guard. And again, after I subdued the student the security guard comes to drag the student off.

The security guard spoke to the AP, who asked my side of the story, and minutes later, a student monitor came to collect Timmy's things. I have no idea how long, and I actually don't care, it is just one less headache for me.

Since Timmy was believed to be suspended, the resulting afternoon was actually okay. My class was less disruptive than usual.

After school, I repacked my broken copy machine, and called FedEx for ground pick up. They'll come tomorrow. I did not put up my replacement copier. I was planning to keep the machine in the box, we only have about a week and a half left, but I realized that even though time is less, after the books are collected, copies would become even more important, or is that just my imagination.

Dinner was an order of beef with broccoli.

That is about it for today... Until next time...

Post Date - Wednesday, June 13, 2007 9:34pm.

No comments: