Saturday, June 09, 2007

Saturday Morning continuation....

Last night, I was so tired. I was in bed about 9:37pm. I just reread what I had written last night. Usually, I delete the hand on keys "running letters" when I realize that I need to call it a night, but lately, I've been leaving it in the entry. I notice that the last two times, it has been on the letter k that I lean on as I doze off. Sorry, I'm getting sidetracked.

I'll try to finish up my ramblings about yesterday.

Friday morning, Hyper Kid 1 was telling me all of the fun things he did on Thursday (the No Student Day). And, I was getting angry about this running monolog. Speaking to him several times about doing his work...nothing. Ignoring him...nothing. I try to not yell too much (yes that is hard to believe those that know me in school). Yelling too much, or too early will tend to set the kids off. Sorry, I'm drifting.

I was angry with the student for a couple of reasons:

1. He should have been doing his work, not socializing...especially with me...the teacher!
2. I had just spoken to his mother on Wednesday. And the last thing I remember her saying was that he was already being punished and everything that could be done (or taken away) has already been done, or taken away. If that was true, why was he rambling on about what a great day he had.

I seemed to remember when I was younger "being on punishment" meant that I did not have fun. If visitors came, I could talk to them, but I couldn't play with them. Punishment meant I had to sit with a book and that was it. This kid (who already told me he does not listen to his mother) is going on and on about the adventure he had in the park, junk food he ate, and the things his parents will buy him. According to him, he will soon have a pair of heelys (sneakers with wheels). His (nearly equally hyper) brother already has a pair for his birthday. I'm sorry, HYPER KIDS DON'T NEED SHOES WITH WHEELS!!!!!!

Friday continuation...

The regular prep schedule was changed. I had my prep period at 8:30am. Normally, I would not like a prep period that early, but since I had not written up my lesson plans (and my copy machine was not working), I did not mind. Actually, I was fighting what I'll call the "School Year-End Wall". The official test are done (and results are in), textbooks are about to be collected, teachers have mountains of --

...Okay maybe just a high mole hill of papers and reports to get done. And finally, summer vacation is only a couple of weeks away. Oh, and, classroom materials have to be packed (in the event you are sent to another room). The problem? Once the students have the idea that school is over, they (and some teachers do as well) shut down. Work seems pointless. In the past (when I first started teaching), I pretended nothing had changed. I let my students know that as long as they keep coming to school, I would have work for them to do. The year before I went to Japan, I had lesson plans and materials for the students for the second to the last day, but then realized I had pushed enough and it was pointless.

Anyway, with the stress this year (more then I was expecting), I am a little too eager to be finished. This whole school year, I've been marching on a left foot start playing catch up all year. It was bad enough to mentally focus on lesson plans with the "what will get thrown in at the last minutes/detailed lesson plan needs to be thrown out" mental block. Now, I am faced with the eagerness for finality..of the year, not life. I haven't gone that far. Sorry, rambling again.

Back to Friday.

Friday, after first period, one of the APs (just when I was about to give a spelling test) called to invite my class to a short concert in the auditorium. Although, I was happy to kill time, I did not let my students see my joy. Since the spelling test papers were already given out, and the students also were not eager to be working, I told them that if they acted up in the slightest way, we would stay in class...Oh, our air conditioner does not work. Not having air conditioning does not bother me that much. I'm hot, sweaty, and uncomfortable, but for some strange reason, I don't care that much about not having it. Strange.

My students were very (relatively speaking) nicely behaved. The auditorium was full of regular Hip Hop fans listening nicely (relatively speaking) to classical music. There were three performers (a celloist, violinist, and pianist). I don't think a single person in that room wanted to return to their classroom.

Rest of morning basically uneventful. The fourth grade teacher asked me to keep one of her wild kids in my room. His presence upseted the classroom chemistry just a bit. The kids seemed to be still in "dayoff" mode. There were no arguments, and the 4th grade visitor who usually tauts Chipmunk, spent most of the morning chatting with Chipmunk. I sent Chipmunk's mother an e-mail asking for her permission to do after-school detention if her son starts arguing with me. And today, sure enough, he was about to start arguing. I reminded him about the detention...he became sweet (relatively speaking) as a kitten.

Lunchtime, I stayed with my students. Another of my bad habits. Once I start a routine, it is difficult to break. Why do I stay in the students' lunchroom? I worry that all hell will break loose, and it will all be dump at my feet when I return to pick them up.

Anyway, lunch was about over when the secretary informed my the Hyper Kid 1's mother was in the main office. At this school, the principal is very concern about attendance. She has all kinds of rewards and incentives for attendance, yet parents can come at anytime to pick up their kids. Yes, even 10 minutes before dismissal, announcements are made for students to "come to the office with their coat and belongings". I was annoyed that I was on my lunch time, and I was expected to climb 3 flights of stairs to have this wild child get his things. I don't allow my students to use my keys. I try to never take my keys from around my neck, I'm forgetful. If I leave my keys, I will usually forget my keys. Anyway, I was annoyed at first...then I did a mental slap in the face. I had the chance to have one less headache for the afternoon. I practically ran up those stairs. When Lil Hyper turned into Mr. Snail (he likes to keep his mother waiting), I grabbed his backpack, and his homework...and would have grabbed him, if he did not see that I was not in the mood. I left his things in the hallway, locked the door, said, "have a nice weekend", and I was gone. I was on the first floor, when Hyper Kid 1 finally caught up with me. Actually, I was only rushing because it was time to pick up my class, half were outside and half were in the lunchroom, plus I had two "visitors". I think the policy should be all go or none go. Kids here don't go out because of behavior or because they don't have complete uniforms. Although, I am a strong believer in the power of school uniforms, I think those kids should be allowed to go outside. Not play, but be allowed outside.

The afternoon, I did a contest with the math worksheets. The table that had all students (at the table) finished their worksheet first would receive a 1/4 of a star. It worked better than I thought. In my class, I give some kind of reward for the table with the most stars by the end of the week. I had to modify the star system:

1. I was giving out too many stars for basically not being too disruptive. also,
2. The students needed real world practice, so I came up with the fraction of a star.

All in all, the day turned out relatively okay. Since I was in a good mood, I ended up giving snack to everyone...but Chipmunk (he was so deep in his conversation, he did not hear me call anyone who did not get a snack). He waited until his conversation was finished, then he wanted "his snack". Nope. Sorry, no can do.

That reminded me of this morning. Loud Lisa (Ghetto Girl sounds too derogatory), called to me while I was opening the windows. With the window pole in my hand I came to her. I was in a relatively pleasant mood. I walked towards her, and asked what did she want. Her response, "wait". She wanted me to stand there (pole in hand) waiting while she decided when she was ready. I pratically chewed her head off. I discovered that kindness is a weakness. Show kindness, and many (not all) of these kids will take advantage of you. They did for me for most of this school year. The yelling at me, and the arguing is turning me into a nasty person. I have kids in my class who will know that I am watching them, see me watching them, and will still argue with me after they clearly did something wrong. Lately, I've been chewing their heads off when they start throwing that nonsense at me. Unfortunately, I waited until now to start chewing heads off. I should have started much earlier. Unfortunately, I am learning that being cold and nasty is yielding several benefits. They are quieter, They are (a bit) afraid of me. And the best result...I can actually teach. Strange world. Just a hope, skip, and a jump from Bizarro World.

Post Date - Saturday, June 9, 2007 11:47am

No comments: