Thursday, June 07, 2007

No students in school today. A very stressful day anyway.

Luckily, it wasn't my stress. It is true misery does love company. Anyway, I have not posted in a couple of days. My last post was written when I was half sleep. Before starting this entry, I pushed publish. I don't even remember what I'd written. I thought it was already posted, but it was sitting in my draft folder. I'll have to read it to find out where I left off. However, before I do, I should recap today.

About 7:33am, I got a ride from the 125th st. station to school from one of the teachers. When I arrived at school, the first thing I did was to brush my teeth. Since I've been eating breakfast on the train (hot oatmeal), I've save a couple of minutes in my mad dash for the morning train.

After brushing, I tried to fiddle with my copy machine. Oh that's right, you don't know. Well, my copy machine isn't working. Yes, at the same time the other copy machine the teachers use is out of toner (and therefore also not available). The only other option is putting in requests for copies (see previous blog entries for the hassle that is). Without my copy machine, I'm like a junkie going through withdrawal symtoms. I've been stressed out about my copier. I've grown too dependant on that machine. I feel incomplete without it. Sorry, I'm getting carried away.

Today, I thought the NO Student Day would be a getting ready for the next school year kind of day (arranging classes, portfolio work etc...) when will I ever learn?

From 8am to about 9am, I did some organization of my classroom, and tomorrow preparations. About 9:10 AP made the annoucement that Professional Developement would begin about 9:15. Staff proceeded to the auditorium to be told that the agenda would be printed about 10am, we could return to our classes to wait. About 10:15 staff was told to report to our in-house training.

Second and third grade teachers begin the first of 4 training sessions on Rubrics in the literacy coaches room. She was stressed out because the "professional developement staff only found out about their "training mission" this morning when they walked in the door. She was not happy.

About 11am everyone had just walked to our next "training session" when the principal made an annoucement for all staff to come to the auditorium. She had some news.

After dragging it out, and rambling on pontificating, she finally gave us the good news. The school had made very good improvements with the math scores on the New York State math test. One of the APs was dancing in the aisle. The new math coach, who not quite in the "Spanish" teacher's catagory (but there are very slight shades of similarities) seemed to be taking credit, cheering and blowing kisses to god.

Long story short. Today was lots of training, no next year preparations, which means next Tuesday's half-day will be stressing. Today was a good relaxing day for me. I had a greasy hamburger and french fries meal from a local fast food chicken shop. The afternoon was basically running out the clock. I managed to get out of the building at 3:30. Unlike yesterday (about 7pm)...I'll try to summary in a minute.

After school I went shopping for some ice cream and cake. When I am in a good mood, I tend to eat. Also, when I am depressed I eat. Oh, and when I am bored too. I think you get the picture.

Today, I got home about 5pm. I promptly dozed off until about 5:45pm. I ate dinner (instant rice in microwavable cup, a can of sardines in mustard, and broccoli). Since I had a cake waiting for me, I did not want to fill up on real food. I called the copy machine company to find out about my warranty. I will have to call them again tomorrow. I need to be infront of the machine. I am now posting this blog.

Quick Summary of the previous days:

Tuesday, the special art program second lesson. The art teacher came with two scissors, and two templates for 23 students to share. There was paint, water, and little organization, I'll just leave it there.

Wednesday, there was another special assembly. A group of hip hop performers did a "making music" program. It was okay. Since Thursday was no students, I should have been able to leave school about 3:10pm, but speaking to a parent about your son (Hyper 1), speaking to a teacher about portfolios, my plan to leave early when right out the window. Wednesday evening, I was expecting to do new year class organization, so I was filling out the student cards. The math coach also wanted the scores for his "end of the year math assessment". I could do another hour on that test, but I won't. Basically, I followed the usual pattern, I fell asleep early on top of the papers I was working on, woke up about 2am, finish the papers and then went to bed about 4:30 only to wake up at 6:10am. Hopefully, I can go to bed at a better time tonight.

It is time for me to go...

Post Date - Thursday, June 7, 2007 7:22pm

No comments: