Tuesday, June 26, 2007

One more day to go! Today was a bit of clean up/pack up day. Unfortunately, my students were a bit too hyper to really be of much help. For most of the day, I had to be teacher/baby-sitter. A minute away, the cats wanted to go wild.

In the hall on the way to science, an annoucement required me to call the office. in the space of 15 seconds, my students were fighting in the hallway. The phone call? AP1 wanted me to quickly bring my class downstairs, so that I could return to give a parent her child's report card. The rest of the morning, was more anger, arguments, and hostilities between classmates. I also ended up doing a lunch detention because a couple of my students refused to chill out.

For the afternoon, clean up/pack up began. About 1:00pm, the "Spanish" teacher came. He is the out of classroom teacher who was assisted to me during the morning skills period, and the afternoon reading mini block. However, he was oftern late or a no-show. When he did show for the afternoon reading mini block, he took his group to watch DVDs, or to the computer lab, causing my group to complain that I was being unfair for not doing "fun" things during the reading time.

Anyway, the Spanish teacher came to me in the middle of chaos, to give me two boxes of small cakes, asking me to cut and distribute the cake. I just was not in the mood. To begin with, they did not deserve a party, second, I did not like the idea of being dumped with a messy chore and I told him...in a very polite way. He said he would come back. He came back about 2:45 to start cutting up the cakes. He had his back to me the whole time, and never offered my any. But that was okay, I would have said "no thank you".

About three, I gave out report cards with the hope that most if not all would not come tomorrow. Unfortunately, several kids (including Hyper Screamer) told me that they would be coming tomorrow.

Once the kids were gone, I was able to finish up my students' cumulative records (the records that follow the student all the way to high school). I also packed up my copy machine. I don't remember when or where, but I pack up as if I am not coming back. Most likely I will be back.

Oh, I almost forgot, while I was talking to another teacher comparing "wild students" stories. The custodian asked me if I was all packed. He mentioned that a new charter school would be moving in. That much I already knew. He also mentioned that the new charter school would have the 7 rooms at the end of the hall where my classroom is located. According to the custodian, alls the classrooms have to be empty for the new school before August. He was shocked that the other teacher and myself had no idea about the new move. Things at this school tend to operate on a "need to know" basis, meaning lowly teachers are told what Admin "thinks" we need to know. I suspect one of three possible senarios:

1. Tomorrow the very last day, we will be informed that Admin just found out that the rooms will need to be vacated by the end of the day.

2. We will be contacted by telephone during the vacation and told, "oh, we just found out that your room will need to be vacated. If you choose to not come, then the custodians will have to move your things with no guarentee that things will be put where you want them.

3. We won't be told anything until teachers will have to report to school (two days before the students), and will have those two days to relocate.

We'll see.

Finally, about 6:25, I was in front of the school waiting for my taxi. The guy was about 12 minutes late. He called me to tell me that he was only two blocks away. He did not call to say that he was going to be late. The taxi ride was $35 dollars (plus a $10 tip). I was a little disappointed in myself, I should have been completely packed, so that I could take full advantage of the car ride. Unfortunately, when I am stressed out, I don't think straight.

Post Date - Tuesday, June 26, 2007 9:10pm

No comments: