Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Field Trip to RiverBank State Park. Today most of the school (grades 2nd through 6th) went to RiverBank State Park. Despite a last minute distribution of permission slips, most of the students were able to attend. I ended up leaving 3 students behind in school. Luckily, Admin made it easier this time. Usually, teachers are required to find a teacher in the building that will take our "no goes". This time, we just had to send the names to the office. So who did not go:

1. Hyper Kid 1 (for obvious reasons - see the name)
2. Mr. Near suspended (or Mr. I don't care) see previous blog entries a few days ago.
3. Potty Mouth (a girl who suggested a [male]classmate perform oral sex on another boy) Sorry, I cleaned it up a bit.
* I would have left Hyper Screamer behind, but he didn't act up at the time I was making the list. And since he took his medicine, he was okay.

The field trip was nice. It was nice to get out of the building. Despite it being only about a 15 or 20 minute walk (third graders already walked there a few months ago for another science related trip) all the classes took school buses there. I shared my bus with a fifth grade class. It was basically a giant picnic. The kids amused themselves with various kid games.

Nice day. Nice place (relatively speaking - sitting on top of a garbage treatment plant). Nice behavior...for the most part. Of course, what would an inner-city outing be without a little bit of ghetto behavior. One of the other third grade teacher had a problem with her kids playing a game called "booty tag". Sorry, I have no idea what that means, but apparently, the game is just what the name implies. My kids were not involved the "tag" game, but they were not without their own ghetto behavior. At the end of the trip, a few of my girls for some reason or another decided to get into an argument with girls from another school because "they were bothering us".

My class arrived at the bus about 5 minutes early, unfortunately, the fifth graders were already on the bus (with the teacher), I arrived just in time to hear the teacher trying to find out which of his students threw my student's lunch (he forgot it) out the bus window.

Back at school, since everyone had a good time. How do they show their appreciation? A couple of arguments, and a near fight in my class.

I was planning to be out of the building about 4:30, but I ran into one of the teachers who was "left of the reorganization sheet for the 2007-2008 school year. He is currently a six grade teacher who due to allowing his license to expire, and "some issues with the principal" might not be returning next year. I have strange feeling that I might actually be bumped up to the 6th grade, just a feeling. It was very interesting...very interesting the conversation I had with this 6th grade teacher, and a couple of other teachers about the "workings" of the Admin. However, since this blog isn't meant to be about Admin directly, I am going to have to pass on mentioning the things that I was told.

I arrived in the Bronx about 5:50, I was planning to buy some beef with broccoli at the nearby Chinese Take-Out Restaurant, but there were too many people there, so I had to head to the Metro-North station so that I would not miss my train. I arrived in Yonkers, but I did not feel like walking up the hill, so I decided to cook dinner again. I made baked fish, and white rice -- I didn't have the microwavable cups of rice, so I had to do it the old-fashioned way, I boiled a pot of rice. I also had spinach. Two days in a row. I managed to cook and wash my dishes for two days in a row. I also took out the pork chops to defrost. Could it be three days in a row...

Post Date - Tuesday, June 19, 2007 11:51pm

No comments: