Thursday, December 06, 2007

Hyper Day!!! Today was training day. For my group, training was in the afternoon. Training was for the new literacy program, that we are currently using the old materials for. Thinking about today as a half day did not help. My kids were super hyper today. Actually, not all, just the handful (the usual characters [Sticky fingers, Beady Betty, The Cackler etc...). Also, I had no preparation period, which also doubles as a sanity recuperative period. I tried to keep the routines as regular and consistent, but the characters were having none of that. Cackler arrived late, and as soon as she walked through the do Beady Betty does a quick, "Yes!" out loud. The party was on. Those two kept going back and forth as if my class was their social club. My problem is that these type of students often require immediate correction and/or attention, the problem is when and where. In the past, I've stopped to correct the behavior, but I find that they seem to enjoy and/or get off on the extra attention (yes, even if it is negative). Threats worked (a bit) for Beady Betty. However, The Cackler just does not seem to care about much. Her catch phrase is "I don't care", and she really doesn't seem to. Cackler likes to argue, and does not mind of the lesson stops. Sometimes, I ignore Cackler because she feeds on negativity like a Hoover sucks up dirt. If I give positive attention, then she gets greedy, and stubborn if she doesn't get more than her fair share. After a couple of hours she just kept going at it. Finally, the last straw. She got up and walked out of the...sorry, my classroom! Without even bothering to ask. Then came back, slamming the door, laughed saying, "Oh, I'm sorry". Then cackles cackles on her way back to her seat. Then decides she wants to sweep. I told her to "GET OUT!!!!". I almost lost it. I said, "I hate....her behavior! Nice girl, but I HATE HER BEHAVIOR". I sent her to Ms. Across the Hall. After she left, things went a bit smoothly. Unfortunately, I soften up, and asked her back after I finished with the lesson. I really, really didn't want her back. Later as the class was lining up for lunch, I noticed her happily carrying her new Care Bears lunch bag. I politely called her over, told politely asked for her lunch bag...then very unprofessionally, I tore into her. I went into raving ranting lecture about how she steals (time) from me, so I'm taking her lunch. If she can take from me, then I can take from her. She cried, and I smiled.

Since I had no prep. And my afternoon would be in a wasted training session. I needed lunch time to gathered my mental strength. Normally I would have called home during lunch, but I have a bad habit of getting sidetrack at my expense. I wanted and needed the break.

Would you believe Cackler had the nerve to come to my room during the lunch period to ask for her lunch back. Although I was not as angry as before -- I have a bad habit of not staying angry for very long. Bad habit because the kids often see that as a weakness, not a strength. Anyway, I wasn't angry, but I instantly became annoyed at the nerve.

Afternoon...Do I really need to go into details about "training"? I didn't think so.

After 3PM, I chatted with Ms. Across the Hall. I shuffled a few papers and ate some instant oatmeal, and before I knew it, it was 5PM. Since my headaches go to the after school program at school. I decided to wait in the lobby for a little bit of mini conferences. Last one, Sticky finger's mother ended up coming about 5:30PM. Since she had told me that it was her father who was picking her up, I was going to wait as long as necessary. Waste of time. I mentioned the behavior. I mentioned the lack of commitment to work. I mentioned test daughter didn't take due to playing. Mom was just annoyed that I was keeping her. Her suggestion was that anytime her daughter misbehaves, I should keep her in the classroom with me. Waste of time.

I finished about 6:15PM. I fell into the timing trap. I have a bad habit of trying to time things "just right". I realize that I would not catch the 6:48 MN train. So, I shuffled some more papers. I was also going to call Cackler's mother. However, before I knew it, it was about 6:50PM. Usually it takes about ten minutes to walk to the first train station, then about 18 minutes to ride to the MN station. I timed it pretty good, except the train starts slowing as it approaches my station, "due to train traffic ahead of us". I arrived in the Bronx just as the MN train goes by. So now I have about another 30 minutes to kill. I go to Target store to buy some milk. I arrive home about 8:16PM.

Dinner was a "Smart Meal" and an iced bun. I have a bad habit of eating junk food when bored, annoyed and hungry. By the posting time below, you can figure out the rest.


Post Date - Thursday, December 6, 2007 3:53AM

No comments: