Thursday, December 27, 2007

I just received an interesting email. I don't know if it is true or not, but it seemed like very useful information. I also don't think it could hurt to share. Normally, I am not a fan of internet forwarding information without some kind of confirmation, but I thought this was very useful. After rereading the accompanying story, I decided to delete parts, I hope the main message remains, be careful and recognize signs that might not be readily noticeable, especially with the elderly.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

STROKE IDENTIFICATION:
Sometimes symptoms of a stroke are difficult to identify. Unfortunately, the lack of awareness spells disaster. The stroke victim may suffer severe brain damage when people nearby fail to recognize the symptoms of a stroke .

STRoke
Now doctors say a bystander can recognize a stroke by asking three simple questions:
S * Ask the individual to SMILE.
T * Ask the person to TALK and SPEAK A SIMPLE SENTENCE (Coherently)
(i.e. It is sunny out today)
R * Ask him or her to RAISE BOTH ARMS.
If he or she has trouble with ANY ONE of these tasks, call 911 immediately and describe the symptoms to the dispatcher.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I also did a quick internet search and found some symtoms for recognizing a stroke:
* Sudden numbness or weakness of the face, arm or leg, especially on one side of the body
* Sudden confusion, trouble speaking or understanding
* Sudden trouble seeing in one or both eyes
* Sudden trouble walking, dizziness, loss of balance or coordination
* Sudden, severe headache with no known cause



Post Date - Thursday, December 27, 2007 12:48PM

2 comments:

Jeff said...

I had a stroke in the summer of 2006. I went four days before going to the doctor for it. I was being an idiot about it, and tried to pretend it never happened.

Anyone who has any of these things, go to a doctor, immediately.

Jannx said...

Wow, I'm sorry to read about your stroke. However, I am glad you seemed to have made a complete recovery (karate and workouts).