Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Today was actually a relatively nice day (minimally) stress free day. Strange. I was in bed about 3:30AM, but I was up at 5:30AM. However, I did move a bit slow. I I even almost managed to catch my early train. I was ready to leave and out the front door at about 6:25AM with one minute to catch the MN train, but with the ice on the ground, I didn't want to risk running for the train, so I caught my regular MN train.

School? Everyone (students)seemed to have been mostly on their best behavior(relatively speaking). I was assigned a temporary visitor for a few days. A kid suspended from another school was (temporary) reassigned to my school. I got lucky this time around, Ms. Across the Hall had one a couple of weeks ago. Just my luck, the boy turns out to be best friends with one of my new(permanent) arrivals (also from the same school). Probably not a school I would want to work in, around, or near.

My plan was to be out of school by 4:30PM to do the shopping that I did not do on Sunday, but you know me. I get distracted and before you know it, time has flown by. I gave an in-class reading assessment, I wanted to grade the papers quickly because I knew that if I didn't do it soon, then I wouldn't do it at all. I was a bit shocked to see that my students actually did worse than on previous reading tests. I bought a skills workbook from the teacher's store in Brooklyn that contained about 15 (short)practice reading tests. I've been giving one each month to use as an over-time assessment. With the old reading program (which I hated), there was a period of time where the students were given time to read independently (that was a good part of the program). Now, with the new program and the slow learning curve (for the teachers) with all the "points, parts, and procedures", the students are not reading like they should. Actually, that really isn't the program's fault.

I probably should delete that last part.

Never mind. Losing a 90 block of accountability in terms of reading and writing, teachers have to find time to assess our students reading and writing. Long story short --Yes I know, too late. I am sitting here at my computer getting ready to make up a reading log for in-class reading. I had to make a reading log for homework assignments because assigning "child must read for 15 minutes" each night was a waste of time. I now have parents sign off each night as proof of reading at home(about 2/3 do). I now have to do the same for in class. I have students that have books, and they do carry the books around, but from the computerized testing program we use, I can check and see that many are not actually reading. I also need to assign reading response exercises. I've been too dependant on the computerized program, but from the practice test I just gave, I can see that my students are not really reading for content, they are just reading for completion. One of the down sides to the computerized program --and one thing that is unintentionally being encouraged. The goal is to read as many books as possible. Financial rewards are offered for classes with the most books read(as long as the studdents pass the multiple choice computer test with 90% accuracy). There is even a kind of "racers" chart in the lobby where each class is represented as a runner with their position noting percentage of class reading goal completed. Goals were made by Admin, but we have not been told our goals yet. My class is currently at about 50%. Although the program "recommends" (and I do follow the recommendation) that students should only chose books within their individual reading range. I don't allow my students to take books that are below their individual reading range. Other teachers allow their students to choose any book, and the students chose easy books. A couple of teachers have told me that they allow their students to choose books below their individual reading range, or I've been told by (another teacher) that it is okay for students to choose books below their individual reading range. My students have even complained kids from other classes are choosing easy books. And of course a couple of my students blame me for our position on the racer's chart.

Sorry, I am way, way off track. I was planning to just type a few sentences about my evening shopping, but I got sidetrack. And I have not even started my reading log.

Quick wrap-up. I was out of the building at about 5:40PM. I went to the bank ATM. I was planning to go to Target in the Bronx, but with about 10 minutes before the MN arrived, I settled on going to the new Rite Aid about a block away. I like Target, but it is often too crowded. All I really needed was dental floss. However, too many times, I've been caught in Target waiting on line for a few items, and I end up missing my MN train.

I arrived home about 6:50PM. I ate a Healthy Choice Meal for dinner. My plan of a quick assignment check, and a quick reading log is now shot to h*ll. I wanted to print out some differentiated worksheets about adjectives for my students, but I am out of black ink. I also got sidetracked before this blog entry clearing up my flash drive. I got so used to dumping files on it, that nothing was organized. I was also a bit surprised that some of my files were not school related. I have several flash drives, the one I carry around school should only have school files on it. I really like things neat and orderly, even though it doesn't seem like it. If I'm lucky, I will be able to use this coming vacation to get organized. I know a lot of my stress comes from not being as organized as I want to be.

Hopefully, I'll be in bed by 3:30AM. And hopefully, I'll have another relatively stress free day. One can only hope.


Post Date - Tuesday, December 18, 2007 2:32AM

No comments: