Friday, December 07, 2007

The hyperactivity virus must be spreading. Today was day 2 of the hyperactivity of last year. Excessively talkative and hyper for the few of the usual students. The problem is that it only takes a few. Since today was a school wide Math test, Beady Betty chose today to act up. Talkative, angry, and moody.

When the test was about to start, I took my class to the bathroom. My proctor assistant arrived then. I was assigned the librarian. Very nice, but a bit old for this population. I felt bad when blank answer grids were needed and I had to send her. The math test was a general (predicative)assessment to see what the students will possibly get on the citywide test. The test was about 35 minutes, and my students seem to do better on the math than the ELA (English Language Arts). After the test, I had to collect the answer grids and take the grids to the Principal's office. Lucky for me it was during my prep(aration) period. :(

The distance from my classroom to the main office/Principal's office is about 2 or 3 minutes. I am on the second floor at the very end of the corridor. The main office is on the first floor at the opposite end. About a 2 or 3 minute walk involving a set of stairs. Anyway, I walked to the main office to drop off the answer grids. One of my students' answer grid was missing from the ELA practice test on Tuesday. I was told that I had to find that grid, so a trip back to my class. Searched and no grid. A walk back, then told okay a blank grid would be okay. A walk to the classroom, completed bubbling the students' ID information on the grid for the student who was absent. As soon as I finished, the phone rang. They found the grid. I had to bring the answer grids back to the main office (they had to be secured). I walked back to the office to drop off the grids. This time, the manila envelope had to be brought down...another trip to and from the main office.

On the way back, the prep teacher had three girls in the hallway because there was a fight. Beady Betty and Drama Queen. DQ cried and did her "they/she always... boo hoo hoo." I had had enough of BB, so another walking trip to the nearest phone at the opposite end of the very long corridor to call BB's home. I left a message on the answering machine. Even though parents are often home, they have a habit of leaving the answering machine on, or blocking the calls. When I finished leaving the message, my prep period was over. I wasted a whole 45 minutes looking for a phantom grid sheet and leaving phantom messages on the phone. I was annoyed.

I arrived back to the girl triad drama club (Drama Queen, Sticky fingers, and Beady Betty) are arguing across the room. Friends are now bitter enemies. Enemies are best friends, and I'm just pissed off. DQ called home, so she's going home, boo hoo hoo. Cackler's doing just that. BB's got an attitude. With about 30 minutes before lunch, I review the math test. Now, I'm in a nasty mood, so of course, the class is quiet.

Lunch, I usually do detention for the ones that don't do their homework, but I wasn't in the mood. Lunch was good. School lunchs have gotten much better since I was a student...most of the time. Today lunch was mac & cheese, baked chicken, fried rice, and greens. The lunch ladies are very nice and generous when there is extra food. The afternoon was okay, luckily no drama.

5:30PM, AP1 knocks on my door. A visitor will be visiting tomorrow (today at the time of this typing), so she is doing a last minute inspection. She came in with a "oh we have to tidy up" statement. Normally, I a walking doormat, I do without question. But to come 2 and a half hours after I'm off the clock annoyed me. I was tired, hungry and doing some last minute inside bulletin board updating. On top of wanting me to rearrange things that the visitors might find an eyesore, she zeros in on the stack of boxes I have neatly flatted in the corner with chart paper over and manipulatives on top. She wants the boxes moved. I advised her that the tower would come falling down if she touched it. After poking and prodding, I guess she came to her senses. Then she started "tidying up". I just ignored her...respectfully. She said that my room just needed a woman's touch.

AP1 started dragging a few boxes that she would keep in her office until after the visitors left. I made no offer to help. About 15 minutes later, my class phone started to ring. It rang for a good minute before whoever was on the other end came to his (most likely her) senses. I left the classroom about 7PM. There was a box AP1 could not drag to her office. I put it back.

My school has an "A" rating with the new rating system. To be honest, I really don't have an idea what that really means. I do know that when it comes to looks, my school does look good. :)


Post Date - Friday, December 7, 2007 4:17PM

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.