Sunday, December 02, 2007

Old (bad) habits just won't die. Saturday (my recovery day) was a fairly slow day. After finally getting up, I needed to go to the post office. My Doctor Strange DVD arrived.

Up here is car country. Without a car, you are very limited with your travel options. Walking, taxis, or buses, are the options available. With mountainous winding roads that can be 45 degrees or more, a bike isn't that useful in this area.

Originally, I did not feel like walking, so my plan was to take my boring 3 or 4lbs trilogy Storm of Swords book, and wait for the bus. Luckily, once I got out and started walking (about 12 to 15 minutes at a fairly consistent 45 degree winding road up), I felt comfortable about walking to the post office. It turns out that not a single bus passed me as I walked.

After about a 2 hour walk (there and back), I decided to continue walking to central Yonkers to go grocery shopping. I needed a few items that the online grocery shopping doesn't have (mini 4oz. microwavable rice, Dole single serve jello and fruit cups). I don't even know why I buy the single serve fruit cups when I usually eat the whole four-pack. Before the grocery store, I made a stop at the 99 cent store. I bought some 16oz foam cups. I make my morning oatmeal and hot green tea in those cups. Anyway, after walking to the grocery store, I took the MN train back to my local station.

For dinner, I ate a Healthy Choice grilled chicken steamer meal. I was still hungry after the meal, and I wanted to try the new organic strawberry preserves. Unfortunately, I got a bit carrying away. I ended up eating three jelly sandwiches, so any benefits I earned from the almost 3 hour walk and the healthy meal, was lost.

After dinner, I decided to just relax. I did not want to even think about school. I read the newspaper and watched a bit of the PBS "Do Wop - 1960's My Music" program. Then about 8:30PM, I watched my Doctor Strange DVD; I bought it used from Amazon.com. It was okay, not great, or very good, but it was a nice bit of escapism from the boring day to day existence that is my life. My plan was to watch the 10PM news, shower then call it an evening. Unfortunately, I fell asleep within minutes of the DVD finishing.

Now I am up again. I'll finish this blog and then call it a night. Tomorrow (today actually), the weather is supposed to be wet and messy. I would like to do my lesson planning for the week for the first part of the day. If I could be finished before 2PM, that would be great. I need to do my laundry also. If I can finish by 2PM, then I would like to go to Target in the Bronx to buy some new slacks for work. My 36waist pants are showing signs of wear and tear (literally). Eventually, it is only a matter of time before I hear, " I see London, I see France..." It is time to go clothes shopping.

Unfortunately at the time I bought my comfortable 36in waist, I only bought one pair. At the time I bought the 36 waist, I was a 38 waist, and the 36in were my "one day I'll fit into these" impulse buys. I have 2 pair of 34 waist which are starting to prep for a coming flood. When you can start seeing your socks while you're walking, then it is time to get new pants. Besides, sucking in the gut to zip up is another signal it is time to change pants. I also have a couple of 38 waist slacks, but with those, I get called "Urkel" by students. Strange, I have the waist of a swimmer, but the belly of a beer guzzling couch potato...without the beer.

Well, I think that's it. Hopefully, I can do something productive tomorrow.


Post Date - Sunday, December 2, 2007 4:18AM

No comments: