Thursday, July 02, 2009

An Exercise in Futility

Well, I'm done!!! Finished!!! No more!!!

I'm finished and of course there was drama involved. Today, I had a 9AM appointment for a mover with a van to help me move my things home for the summer. Remember, I tend to pack as if I'm not coming back (even though I will be coming back). One, packing this way allows me to go through my materials and see what I can keep or toss. Also, if I ever do go on to another school, I don't want to wait until September to start packing.

Anyway, I arrived and thought I was doing a good thing by moving my things downstairs to the exit with the ramp. My appointment was for 9AM. After about 30 minutes, I called the mover to find out what happened. The guy came on the phone with a "matter of fact" tone telling me, "Oh, the van wasn't working". He said that he found out 1:30AM. He said that he would rent a truck (Budget?!?). After another 30 minute wait, I called the guy again. This time he told me that it would take 2 hours for his van to get fixed. I was angry and cancelled the job. I then had to carry my stuff back up the stairs and down the hall. I then had to stash the boxes and things so that they were not on the floor. I was angry at first, but once I was able to pack my things in the classroom. A part of me was glad to not have the boxes cluttering up my apartment for the summer. I also won't have to worry about dragging all that stuff back at the end of August.

Well, my vacation has official started...and I am exhausted. I came directly home. A part of me wanted to go to the movies or do some walking. However, my next goal has to be to clean my apartment...especially my living room. I'm going to rest up and hopeful attack my living room like a tornado cutting through Kansas. The first thing to go are the mounds of "paperwork".

I took some photos of my classroom. I'm still pleased with the job I did with the packing.


Post Date - Thursday, July 2, 2009 3:00PM

2 comments:

A Paperback Writer said...

Whoa.
You take all that home for the summer?!
Holy cow. I took less than that home when I took a year-long leave of absence to go to Scotland. (I was not changing schools, though.)
This year I had to move to a different classroom, but once that was done, I took home one bag of stuff and two breakable pictures for the walls that I didn't want the custodians to bump while doing summer cleaning. It was one armload. Period.

Jannx said...

No real need to, I just have my obsessive moments.