Wednesday, July 08, 2009

Los Angeles

Instead of going to bed early. I started doing more online surfing for the first leg of my summer trip - Los Angeles.

If I had more time, I would have done a more thorough search, but I got lazy. I had already visited the LA metro trip planning website, and the Los Angeles tourism website, so walking around LA, wouldn't be that big of a deal. But, then I found out about the "LA Go Card", it is a pass that allows the bearer access to various attractions. I didn't really crunch the numbers the way I should, but I think it was a good investment.
1. it will help guide my exploration of LA.
2. it will make my first LA trip more enjoyable.

At first, my plan was just to do the walking exploration of LA. Before I found the Go Card, I had already made a list of the LA areas accessible by mass transit. In other words, seeing LA on the cheap. However, wanting to take a couple of tours, and visit Universal Studios, the GO Card seemed like a good investment. If I had a few weeks available in LA, then I would have more time to explore LA on the cheap using public transportation.

I'll be in LA for about 6 days (2 half days [arrival day and departure day] and 4 full days). I purchased the 3 day Go Card(about $183 including $15 express delivery and a 47 page guidebook and map of the LA area).

Preliminary Itinerary:
Universal Studios
Movie Stars Homes Tours
NBC Television Studio
CBS Studio City Tour
Wax Museum
Santa Monica
Downtown "Little Tokyo" LA Metro Adventure*
Long Beach Metro Adventure*
Hollywood Metro Adventure*
* The Metro Adventures are those adventures that were provided from the Metro website accessible by taking the LA public transportation with day passes.

Once my guidebook and (more importantly)LA map, I will try to finalize my LA trip itinerary.

After LA, I'll take a bus to Salt Lake City. I will be meeting Max one of the other bloggers who frequently leaves comments on my blog. Oh, and Paperback is another blogger I'll be meeting in Salt Lake City. Max's offer to show me around Salt Lake City (Utah) was the orginal reason for my trip west. I added LA when I found out the plane ticket to LA would cost the same as one to Salt Lake City.

Next, my preliminary itinerary for Salt Lake City...Then, one more stop before I return home to NYC.


Post Date - Wednesday, July 8, 2009 12:53AM

2 comments:

A Paperback Writer said...

Wow. I haven't been to LA in a couple of decades. I don't miss it. But you should definitely do it once in a lifetime.
My favorite place in California is San Francisco. I've been there several times (most recently 2002), and I always like it. Plus, it's close to the Muir Redwoods, and no one should live their life without seeing the giant redwoods. (Once, when I was in Russia, the lady I was staying with was showing me a wonderful old monastery. Then she insisted that I come and see a special tree, claiming it was huge. I stood and looked at it -- it was no bigger than the 50 year old Russian olive in my backyard. It took her a long time to get me to understand that it was a very old tree and was very big by Russian standards. So I started asking her about the length of the growing seasons because it had never occurred to me that a tree of 200 years or so would be only as large as an average city tree at home. She was obviously hurt. I apologized and tried to make her understand that I'd seen redwood, which really make everything else look tiny. But she didn't believe me.)
Anyway, we'll look forward to seeing you here. Max and I are going to check out one historical site for you this Friday -- and we know plenty of other stuff, as he's lived there almost a lifetime and I've been there my whole life (except for a year in Scotland).

Jannx said...

I've never been to LA, so I'm excited.

I also excited about visiting Utah. I'm looking forward to meeting both you and Max, it will be nice to put faces with the words on my screen. This is shaping up to be one of the best summers ever!!!