Tuesday, July 07, 2009

Man Purse or Murse

A slow day of surfing and sleeping. So far, that tornado through Kansas has been delayed. Not much to write about. Last night I went shopping online for my upcoming trip west. I was looking for a backpack, but I got hung up on the many, many choices available. I'll be gone about 3 weeks, so my over night duffle bag won't be enough. I'll be traveling to the west coast on a plane. I'll be returning NYC by bus. This will really be my first trip (inside the US) outside of this east coast area. At this point, Washington DC has been the farthest I've traveled from NYC. How should I pack for 3 weeks, I'm not sure. I'm learning as I go along.

Anyway, in terms of packing, my plan was to pack a semi-large duffle bag as checked bag, and a backpack as a carry on bag. However, when I finished searching Amazon.com, the bill came to about $350 before taxes and shipping. No, I didn't spend that amount. I realized I would have to delete some items. Normally, I'm a backpack person. It is very difficult for me to leave my apartment empty-handed. For awhile I've been wanting a stylish mini pack that didn't look like a man purse. I also didn't want a fanny pack. I have enough junk in my truck, I don't need attention drawn to it. I really don't want a man purse. I like the messenger bags, but too big. I needed something big enough to carry a paperback book, tickets, maps, mini umbrella, camera, my wallet, etc...

I may have finally found the answer to my murse problem. It looks cool (to me). It is not too big. And it doesn't look like a purse. I will cut and paste a photo from Amazon.com. Now, my problem is having the mini pack arrive in time. According to the Amazon site, the delivery date will be very close. I also purchased a luggage cart. I was tempted to buy nice duffle bag with wheels, but having to travel by bus and being responsible for the moving of my luggage with layovers, I wanted ease of travel. With the luggage cart that is foldable. I can unfold it and put my luggage on it. When I don't need it, it folds up and will fit (or I will certainly make it fit) in my large checked bag.

Well, I better go. If I go to bed early, maybe I can bring on that tornado mentioned in a previous blog. One of the things I want is to return from my vacation to a clean apartment.


Post Date - Tuesday, July 7, 2009 10:07PM

2 comments:

A Paperback Writer said...

Oh, pity you didn't try LL Bean. They have wonderful, lightweight luggage for very good prices -- stuff that rolls, more backpack selections than you can imagine, duffle bags, etc. I've been using their stuff for years to travel overseas when I needed lightweight, super-durable luggage.

Jannx said...

I had not even thought about LL Bean until you mentioned it. I bookmarked it. Thanks for the suggestion.