Sunday, July 05, 2009

Napster

Okay, it must have been the late night, or just being a bit lazy. Here it is almost 4PM and I've been at my computer downloading songs. It turns out to be a bit easier than I'd imagined. I was trying to download a whole set of songs at one time. So far my limited understanding is that only one song can be downloaded at one time. However, having been here for the last couple of hours, my learning curve has increased just a bit. I can now download several songs by not waiting for the current song to download before I click on another song. Napster just puts the songs in a queue(a line), and the songs are downloaded in the order they were placed. Last night I purchased a Napster account because I did not want to join the program that came with the Sansa Media Player -- It required an account that offered unlimited access at $15 per month (automatic deductions from my checking account). I really don't like automatic deductions because I end up forgetting about them. And, I don't balance my checkbook the way I should.

As I was typing this blog entry, I had about 15 songs that were being downloaded. From the $60 membership I paid for (entitling me to 70 downloads), I think I've downloaded about 55 songs. I'm feeling a bit stupid of resisting the MP3 for as long as I have. For the last year or so, I've had a piece of paper on my computer table that I've been using to keep track of the songs I've been watching on YouTube since YouTube stopped keeping track the way they originally did. YouTube used to keep track of any song (or video) you viewed, so that anytime you clicked on the search box, all the previous clip titles would be shown. Now, YouTube doesn't do it that way. Now, you have to remember what you saw, type it in, then YouTube will provide a list and show which video was "previously viewed". And lately, even that isn't working the way it used to. Anyway, I've been keeping a list on a piece of paper on my computer desk. Now, I'm using that list to create my MP3 music list. I haven't had a chance to really do a "field test" of my Sansa Media Player, and anything can still go wrong, but at the moment I'm happy. I also like that the music I download is mine, without any playing limitations to it. When my Media Player gets worn out, I can just download my music list to the new media player; I won't have to retype or (hopefully not) redownload the songs.

So, what songs have I been downloading? I've been (just about)all over the musical landscape. I started this morning. After watching the McLaughlin Group(a political discussion show), an infomercial came on for Time Life Music - Flower Power (music from the 60's and 70's). That program was my starting point, as songs I recognized were mentioned, I started making a list. Then, I remembered my list on my computer desk), and about 5 hours later, I have about 55 songs to start off. Now, I'll log off. Shower, visit my foster father, see if if I can pick up a digital antenna, and (of course) purchased another Napster music card.


Post Date - Sunday, July 5, 2009 4:23PM

No comments: