Friday, August 08, 2008

Boxing Lesson - Day 4 "Wimp Out"

Thursday, August 7th

Today went by fairly quickly. I finally dragged myself out of bed about 1pm. Cold cereal for breakfast, and a couple of hours on the computer, then it was time for the gym.

My trainer wanted to know if I did the exercises he showed me yesterday. I told him no, because my plan was to ask for a different trainer. However, I thought about the couple of times I've been blindsided. I also didn't really speak up to voice my displeasure. I mostly keep things bottle up and of course you readers know that I like to vent here through the ether of anonymity.

Anyway, my trainer said that he would take it easy on me today. I just nodded okay, but didn't say anything. He did my handwraps, and assigned me specific boxing punch combinations on the heavy bag (also known as the punching bag). I did the punching combinations for 45 minutes. Most of the time, my trainer focused on me; he still kind of sat back without much input. Once he told me what to do, he made no comments about if I was doing it right or wrong. I suspect that I got the extra attention because the gym was not as crowded as it had been the last few days.

After the punching practice, my trainer told me to do the treadmill for 45 minutes. After the treadmill, I spoke to the trainer. I explained how I was not happy with what I was getting for my almost $300. I also explained that I was speaking to him about my feelings about the training I had been receiving. I went on the explain how I felt that it would have been a disrespectful slap in the face if I just ran to his boss to complain without first speaking to him and letting him know what I was feeling. I then explained the type of workout I wanted starting on Monday. I was annoyed that I paid for a month of private lessons, but now, I will be in a kind of lesson planner. I thought private lesson would mean that I would walk in and be the pile of clay to be molded and shaped. Now, I'll be "suggesting" the exercises, keeping track of the progress, etc...

My "suggested" workout routine:
30 minutes - exercising and strength training*
30 minutes - boxing lessons/practicing
30 minutes - walking/jogging on the treadmill
*Alternating upper and lower body workouts

I explained that as a beginner, I should be getting in shape and building my strength in order to be able to effectively do the various punching patterns and boxing routines. I said the first month the focus should be more on getting in shape, but in the coming months, the focus would shift to more boxing routines and patterns. We'll see what happens on Monday. After the conversation, I was feeling a bit better about my gym experience. I also learned a bit more about my trainer. He used to have a boxing gym in Brooklyn.

Finally, on the internet, there was a guy who took a picture of himself each day for (I think) 80 days. I think I might like to try something like that. However, I think I will only do it for (maybe) 50 days until my 40th birthday. I saw a nice little mini tabletop tripod in the store. I'll think about it. It would be nice to enter my 40th birthday with a different look.


Post Date - Saturday, September 6, 2008 2:43AM
Completion Date - Friday, August 8, 2008 1:10AM

No comments: