Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Boxing Lesson - Day 7 "Waste of time and money"

Today I put two options to mind, I told myself that I should clean my living room, or I should return the chain store boxing gloves. For the last couple of days, my days have been incredibly short. Today I wanted to change that. I wanted to at least do something other than sleep til noon, sit at the computer, go to the gym, and my day is over.

I decided to return the boxing gloves. When I went to the mall, the first thing I did was check the movie theater to see what was playing, but since I had to return home in enough time to pack for the gym, I did not bother with the movie.

First stop was the chain (sports) store to return the gloves. Along with the return, I also bought:
2 pair of gym shorts
An exercise mat for home

I bought the shorts because I was too lazy to do the laundry. The mat was for the exercises that I am suppose to be doing at home. I have hardwood floors, so a mat will help.

After the sports store, I went to Panda Express for lunch. Then at Target store, I bought:

* gym bag - this one holds its shape better when empty
* cutting board - until now, I've been cutting on a dinner plate
* memory chip for my camera - I want all of my "getting in shape" photos on its own
* cell phone case - new phone needs a case
* shelf - for my locker
* book - Artemis Fowl (Graphic Novel)

After Target, I stopped in Barnes and Noble. I wanted to just see if they had any books on boxing. I ended up buying:
* Fighting Fit:Boxing Workouts Techniques and Sparring. I really like this book better than the other book I bought. This book starts with the gear and goes through the various skills, and even includes weight training. A complete routine. Something I'm not getting, not by a long shot.

I returned home about 3:30pm. I had enough time to run an iron over my hand wraps, and pack up for gym. I forgot to bring my weight training book so that I could make copies of the workout charts. I also had time to eat a Healthy Choice Panini sandwich. Not a good idea.

For the last few days, I've had a panini sandwich about 4pm right before I left for the gym. My workout with my "private trainer" starts at 6pm. So enough time to digest and have the energy to do the workout. When I don't have anything to eat before the workout, I can sometimes feel weak.

Anyway, with the Panda meal, and the panini, and having felt a bit tired from rushing this morning to catch the train, I really was not feeling up to a workout. However, you know me, I am the prince of procrastination. I really didn't want to give myself an excuse to miss my workout, with school starting soon, I want a routine in place so that I can continue to go with very little disruption.

When I arrived at the gym -- I usually arrive early, so I waited until 6pm. I arrived only to wait 3 or 4 minutes while my trainer did someone else's hand wraps. When he was ready, I explained that I wasn't really feeling in the mood for a workout, but I would try to do my best. My trainer said that he would go easy on me. My workout proceeded as follows:

Stomach crunches (5 or 6 sets of 25)
Trunk twist (60)
Push ups (5)
Stomach crunch machine (5 sets of 10 reps)*
* When I was at my 4th rep, my trainer did his disappearing act to help. He had told me to finish my last set, and meet him over by the punching bag. However, he was not expecting me to finish as quickly. I took about 30 seconds to finish. When I arrived, my trainer had just started wrapping another persons hands, while he wrapped, I sat (and waited).

Next, was boxing practice. This time, my trainer did try to simplify the punching combinations, but really wasn't in the mood for more hit the bag with a combination then move routine over and over while he sat and said nothing. For about 25 minutes, my trainer just gave me various punching combinations and said nothing. Even when I knew I wasn't doing it right, still he said nothing. Eventually, I got bored, and just walked in circles around bag and poked at the bag and he still said nothing. He must have been annoyed; he yanked off my gloves and pointed to the treadmill...again saying nothing. I really was not in the mood for a boxing lesson, so I was not too upset.

So what now? I'm not really counting today's lesson because like I said, I really wasn't in the mood for a boxing lesson, although the trainer should have said something. I think I threw a bit of a tantrum and the trainer seemed more than willing to humor me. I spent about 15 minutes (after giving up) just walking around the bag in circles tapping the bag. So again, what now?

Well, I finally finished reading DS9 - Twist of Faith. The book was okay. Although I knew that it was a collection of several books in one volume, I thought the choices should have matched up better. I thought all of the books created a story arch, but it was more like one episode after another with some overlapping, but the story left several loose treads. Which means, one would have to keep buying the books. That's why I don't like series. I like stories to have a (preferably a happy) ending. Sorry, I got sidetracked.

Now, that I'm finished with the DS9 book, I will spend the next couple days going through the boxing and weight training book. I will see if I can come up with a workout routine. As for my trainer, he is now at strike two.

Post Date - Sunday, September 14, 2008 12:18AM
Completion Date - Wednesday, August 13, 2008 12:37AM

2 comments:

Jeff said...

I'm really sorry that the boxing lessons turned out to be a big "waste of money". I was hoping it would work out well for you. Oh well, now you just have to look for the next big thing.

Jannx said...

Thanks Jeff. I've only temporarily given up. My plan now is to rejoin the local Y for a few months to build up my stamina and lose the jelly belly. Then, I will try joining another boxing gym.