Friday, August 15, 2008

Hudson River Museum

Today the plan was to meet Ms. Across the Hall to go see a movie. For the non-regular blog readers Ms. ATH is the teacher who also taught third grade right across the hall. She suggested several weeks ago, that we should see a movie. But she seems to cancel with a a bit of a frequency:

First she had to leave out of town. She chose the day, and agreed to the place. But did not let me know until about a couple of days after that she was out of town.

Then, she cancelled the day before the next agreed day because she had to take her kids to the doctor for a regular check up.

Today. Just as I was about to leave to catch my MN train, she called, but by the time I figured out the buttons on my new cell phone, she had left a message saying that she would have to bring her kids with her and hoped it was okay. She also stated that either way she was going. Since I had only a couple of minutes, I was going to response after I caught my train, but I missed the train. My back up plan was to take the bus, but I had to walk quickly because the bus sometimes arrived at the stop up the hill around the same time. If I had caught the train, I would have been very early, but with the bus I would have been on time. Anyway, once I arrived at the bus stop, I called Ms. ATH. From the call, she changed her mind because there was a storm coming, and her husband didn't want her to bring the kids out of the house because of the storm. So, the meeting for the movie was cancelled again. To be honest, I was annoyed at the last minute change and cancellation...again.*

* However, husband turned out to have been correct. There was a bit of a serious storm here in the NYC area that caused a bit of a mess.

At first bored me was going to call an epal to see if he was interested in doing something like see a movie. However, I thought it might not be a good idea if the person thought he was a (last minute) backup plan.

Next plan, was to go to the mall and see a movie. But, I changed it.

I finally decided that I should be taking advantage of my vacation, not doing my safe routine repetition. So, I went to the Hudson River Museum.

I've lived in Yonkers for about 3 years before I moved to Japan, and about 2 years after I returned, but I have not been to the museum that is right in my neighborhood.

Admission was $5. The museum was okay. I also liked that the museum was very empty except for a very few people.

First up was the Anna Richards Brewster exhibition. No picture taking was allowed.

Next, I went to the Red Grooms: The Bookstore. This was a walk in (and through) art exhibition made mostly out of papier mache and plastic. The structure was of a bookstore.

In the basement was a small exhibition about the Hudson River. It was a nice interactive exhibition.

The last part was the visit to the mansion on the museum property that used to house the museum. When the museum outgrew the mansion, they just built a more modern building around the old mansion. There was no picture taking allowed in the main museum building, but lucky, I was allowed to take pictures (no flash) in the mansion. Having never been in a mansion, it was an enjoyable experience to walk around the mansion. And, I was practically the only one in the mansion for most of the time I was there. I will attach my photos at another time.

I stayed about 2 hours in the Hudson River Museum. It was a nice experience, I enjoyed myself.

After the museum, I thought about going to the movies, but the sky started to darken, and by the time I had gotten my newspaper, it started to rain....very hard. It turned out to be a serious storm with a couple of tornado warnings.

I stayed in, read my newspaper and watched TV.

Tomorrow, I have a meeting with an epal to visit the Cloister Museum.


Post Date - Thursday, September 18, 2008 3:16AM
Completion Date - Friday, August 15, 2008 11:25PM

No comments: