Sunday, August 24, 2008

55/25 and a Broadway Walk


Today started with a bit of online paperwork. Tomorrow, the 55/25 retirement offer is due to expire. I don't know why, but I did not really seemed interested in joining when I first heard about it. And, as usual, I waited until the last minute.

What is the 55/25 retirement option? Teachers who are eligible to sign up for the retirement option with 25 years or more can retire at age 55 without any penalties or reduction in pension payments. Those not able to join will have to wait until age 62 before they can retire without reductions to pension payments.

At first, I felt that there was no way I would want to retire at age 55. I would die of boredom. But, I've been thinking that maybe retiring early wouldn't be a such a bad thing. I could receive my pension and find another job that was less stressful. I would be able to receive my pension and collect another paycheck doing something else. Maybe start a business.

Well, I almost missed the deadline, but I was able to do a "Yes click" online, so I made the deadline.

After, getting off the computer, I did not have time for breakfast or a relaxing soak in the bath. I had to settle for a shower.

The plan was to meet my epal (Vpal) at the Staten Island Ferry Terminal at 2:30pm. I arrived 2:14pm; Vpal arrived about 2:53pm. The plan was to walk up Broadway as far as we could. Along the way, I took a few photos, and we stopped for pizza. About 6pm, I decided to stop when we reached 42nd street. We walked about 4.2 miles. I needed to get home to get ready for tomorrow. Teachers here in NYC don't have to return until Thursday, but I know I won't be able to set up my classroom in two days, so I want the head start.

The Plan:
Monday
- Heavy moving and lifting. Unpacking the boxes and arranging the furniture. Covering the bulletin boards.
Tuesday
- Moving the materials I took home back to my classroom. I rented a "man with a van". Laminating, cuting, posting wall decorations around the room.
Wednesday
- Finish room decoration. Material organization (textbooks, paperwork, etc...). Begin curriculum planning for the month of September.
Thursday
The official return to school. Organizing classroom library into a proper lending library.
Friday
- Finish up the loose ends.

If I can follow my plan, I should be out of the building by 4 or 5pm. Last June, I spent a bit of time carefully packing my boxes, and labeling each one on the outside with what's inside. I cleaned, wrapped and stored everything that should have been. I should be able to hit the ground running tomorrow. Tomorrow, I want to be in by 9am and out by 4pm. I want to exchanged a shelfing unit to the Target Store. I like the one I bought today, but when I got home, I found out the uglier one would allow me to put 4 containers on each shelf as oppose to only 3 containers(the difference was about 2 inches). What are the containers for? Teachers are required to keep work folders in each subject area for each student, and portfolios for each student. Basically it's a lot of paperwork on display. With the selfing unit, I will be able to keep all the work folders in one place as oppose to finding places around the room which will have much less space with 29 students. I will also be able to keep the students writing journals and science journals in the shelfing unit(the two journals admin will be looking at closely this year).

Well, I better go. I think that's enough for now.

The attached photo is a picture I took of the Empire State Building viewed from Broadway.


Post Date - Saturday, October 18, 2008 9:38PM
Completion Date - Sunday, August 24, 2008 9:48PM

2 comments:

Max Sartin said...

In Utah, to get my full pension, I have to go 30 years, which will bring me right to 63. We're also allowed double-dipping, which means I can retire, wait 6 months and then hire right back on, collecting a paycheck and a pension. I haven't looked into it, but I don't think I'd hire back on at my old salary, but I've got 14 more years before I'm ready to start thinking about it....

Jannx said...

Thanks for the Utah pension plan.