Saturday, August 02, 2008

First Look

Friday, August 1st.


Three weeks left before the return.

Today, I managed to get up (and out of bed) about 7:30a.m. I put up the kitchen curtain (but it didn't stay up for long due to crooked and uneven walls), and took a few pictures of my very clean kitchen. I had a couple of bowls of cold cereal, and...I went back to sleep. I woke up, showered, and was out the door about 12:30p.m. I went to midtown NYC to check out and sign up for boxing lessons.

First impression? Is this the right place? Will I be wasting my money here? I might have to reconsider the other gym where the trainer talked my ear off with out mentioning prices. Both gyms had that dingy in the basement look -- even though today's gym (I'll call it Midtown) was on the second floor. This gym did have two boxing rings "while others only had one" (so I was told). The showers were located way in the back in a space approx. 10ft x 15ft area. Two of four showers were broken.

The general gym floor layout(not including the shower area). The layout was divided into approx. 3 sections:

* the two rings section,
* the heavy bags (8) hanging from the ceiling in the open area space,
* and the workout area consisting of free weights, 3 treadmills, and some exercising equipment.

I spoke to a slightly elderly lady who directed me to a trainer, who in turned, directed me to another trainer. There were no papers to sign. I was just told to come in on Monday, and everything would be done then.

So, my plan is to sign up for the one month private training($280) 3 ~ 4 times per week. Along with the $280, equipment will need to be purchased:
* gloves $60
* wraps $10
* shoes $63
* locker rental (per month) $15

The gym sells these items, but I would feel better if I bought the items on my own from local sport's stores like the Sports Authority and/or Modell's.

After the gym look over, I walked down to 42nd street. I had lunch at Yoshinoya (a Japanese takeout restaurant). Then, I went to see the movie "Get Smart".I liked the movie. I thought it was cute. My expectations were not high, so I was satisfied.

I walked down to 14th street. I had lunch at the diner I mentioned here a few times. Then I walked to 34th street


Post Date - Sunday, August 24, 2008 12:57AM
Completion Date - Saturday, August 2, 2008 1:14am

No comments: