Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Three Strikes...Boxing Lesson - Day 3

Wednesday, August 6th



Today I started off with the swollen and stiff left knee that started once I sat down at the computer last night. This morning I was in a bit of a mood worrying about another failed attempt at getting in shape. I also had a bout of "What ifs...".

I spent most of the day hobbling around my apartment worrying, and feeling a bit depressed. I wanted to soak in the bath (hoping that would help), but I was expecting two deliveries, so I did not bother with a bath.

First delivery was my new cell phone. My other cell was either lost or stolen. I walked down to Circuit City on 14th street after the boxing lesson on Monday, but they did not have the one I wanted. They had the floor model, but none in stock. After also trying the "Mobile Best Buys" across the street, and even contemplating going to Target, it occurred to me that I could just order one from the company's website. I ordered FedEx Overnight, it came today about 1:00pm. Since I want to keep the phone number that I already have -- I also want to keep the minutes as well, it will take about 2 days to make the transfer. If I were willing to change numbers, then my new phone would be working already. But, since I treat my cell phone as my primary contact phone, it would have been a bit of a hassle to let everyone know that I had a new phone number. I'll attach a picture on my new phone. I have a prepaid phone, so I have to buy my minutes in advance. Being a bit stubborn, I really don't want to deal with those nickel and diming phone contracts.

The second delivery was from my online grocery order. Last night, I ordered about $197 worth of food and paper products. Some of the items I bought in bulk and I didn't feel like trugging out to drag that stuff home. I also bought a steamer basket. My new plan is to steam the vegetables that are now frozen because I was too lazy to cook them when they were fresh.

Today was my third boxing lesson. So how was it? Remember, I paid $280 for a one month's worth of private lessons (3~4 per week). So what am I getting. I think today's lesson sums it up:

I arrived at 6:00p.m. I was told to do 45 minutes on the treadmill --the posted sign on all four treadmilla was 30 max. My trainer, opposite side of the gym. After, I sat and waited for my trainer to finish setting up another student with her wraps and gloves. Next up, various kinds of stomach crunches (sets of 20 each). Next, 100 toe touches, while my trainer worked with someone else. Next, 100 twists with a exercise bar, while my trainer (with his back to me) was watching another student spar. Lastly, I was asked to step in the ring, and shadow box (no gloves, no wraps, just throw punches in the air) for 15 minutes (while he was helping another student -- a student I'm sure probably did not pay for private lessons. When my trainer sensed my annoyance, he told me to get my wraps and gloves. While I struggle with the approx. 5ft long ribbons that have to be wrapped around each hand -- I had only been shown once. My trainer was helping another student. Instead of shadow boxing with thin air, I was now asked to hit the punching bag for a solid 15 minutes with no break. When I finished, I told my trainer that I wanted a new trainer. I think my trainer is very knowledgeable about boxing. And, I believe he does know how to train someone with some boxing abilities. But I am a slow learning beginner.

When I finished my boxing lesson, I really wanted to leave and not come back. But I think the best thing to do would be to be direct and tell my trainer the reasons why I want a new trainer. I don't think it would be a fair thing to just complain to his boss without giving him the respect of letting him know beforehand.

After gym, I was in one of my moods. A quick stop to Subway for a footlong tuna sandwich, juice, and 3 macadamia cookies.


Post Date - Wednesday, September 3, 2008 9:57PM
Completion Date - Wednesday, August 6, 2008 11:54PM

No comments: