Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Tuesday, February 12, 2008
A bit of a long day. With a 2:30am bedtime the night before, this morning I was really moving slow. I ended up missing my train this morning. I took a taxi to school. For most of the morning, my kids were okay. Oh, AP2 passed out the new daily schedule:

Periods
1. (Math)Test Prep Skills
2. Literacy Block with students from various classes and grade-levels.
3. Math - Day One Test Prep type of material
4. Lunch
5. Math - Day Two Test Prep type of material
6. Math Projects/portfolio activities
7. Extended Groups

During lunch, there was another drama episode with Drama Queen. As soon as I walked into the lunchroom to pick up my class, DQ (according to the school aids and Giggles) managed to get a group of girls from my class and a group of girls from a fourth grade class to taut and tease Giggles. According to DQ, she was just talking about "Blah, blah, blah"(her exact words). When I asked for clarification, she said that she was talking about how I gave too much homework. Her partner in crime (Cackler)said that they were just talking about how "they were bad when they were younger" (her exact words), then partner in crime said that they were talking about another Giggles. I let DQ tell me her side of the story. I made sure to let her finish her side. After she finished, I checked to make sure she had not left anything out, or forgotten anything. When she finished, to be honest, I went ballistic! Same drama, same nonsense! Then DQ's story changed to it was Giggles who "started it". Then, DQ's story changed to Giggles threatened to jump her after school. Never mind, DQ is always picked up by her mother (in a car) or her uncle (again in a car), and never mind that Giggles stays in school for the after school program(doesn't leave the building until 5pm), and never mind that I personally stand outside at dismissal time until every pick up is picked up. When DQ was not getting any sympathy from me, then she turned on the waterworks. I went almost nuclear (if that was possible). DQ cried a river over how I don't listen to her, or how I didn't say anything when she told me that Giggles was threatening her and her family. This is a girl who will change her story in a matter of seconds. She will even add parts as she is speaking all the while looking to to see if she is getting a reaction.

Anyway, I was just not in the mood for the drama. DQ went to cry at another table, and yes, she was surrounded by caring friends who wanted to know who made her cry and why DQ was crying. Since there was a delay(again), my class was just getting their lunch when I arrived 3 or 4 minutes late. Yes, late. I usually don't bother coming down to pick up my class on time anymore because they will usually be just getting served their food. The kitchen staff is great, friendly, and generous with the teacher's portions when they can, however, they are a bit slow. Nice, very nice, but slow.

Anyway, after a few minutes of boo hoo hooing, DQ changed location in the lunchroom, to another area when she is again surrounded by well-wishers, and concerned friends wanting to hear her sides. Finally, when it is time to go, DQ comes to me to tell me she didn't eat. I went ballistic again! There is more to this, but I think you get the idea. DQ now wants to tell her side to the guidance conselor type (I really don't know what he is). This is the guy who is suppose to be doing a conflict resolution program, where he is suppose to come to my class one period per week, but thus far (over the past few months), he has only come about 3 times. One time, one of my students saw him "downstairs eating". Another time, he "forgot the time". The last drama episode, (about an hour before he was due to come) after saying that he was coming to straighten out the mess once and for all, he showed up about 10 minutes near the end of his assigned period to lecture the whole class about "ugly behavior". Since DQ was putting on such a show, the Guidance Guy said that he was coming up to settled this nonsense. To be honest, I was a bit surprised when he actually showed (and it wasn't even his day to come). Unfortunately, he started to lecture the whole class again. This time, I politely interupted and explained that it is the same 4 girls, not the whole class, so the Guidance Guy took the 4 girls out. That drama episode put me in a really bad mood.

Later, running into the Ms. K6 --the teacher who was bumped from her kindergarten class to be co-teacher to a special ed 6th grade class of 30 students...ouch!! Anyway, she had mentioned that she would probably be staying in school until 7 or 7:30pm. Even though I wanted to be out of the building by 6:30pm, I found myself leaving about 7:30pm. There was about an inch of snow that fell. I offered to walk her to the bus stop. I then offered to what until the bus came. She tried to call for a taxi, but none were available at that time(snow). Then she told me where she lived....about 10 blocks from the school. When I lived in Manhattan, I used to walk about 10 blocks just to get the train. So walking was not a problem. I offered to carry her bag, her other bag I put in my granny cart. I gave her my umbrella since she did not have hers. Both bags were about 10 or 15lbs. After walking Ms. K6 home, I headed home myself. I arrived home about 9:30PM. Tired!!


Post Date - Friday, February, 15, 2008 11:20PM

No comments: