Tuesday, February 19, 2008


A nice trip over the Brooklyn Bridge. I've been over the bridge a few times, but it was still a very nice walking event. As I mentioned in the previous entry, I met an epal and we decided to walk over the Brooklyn Bridge and see a movie.

Today started about 9:30AM. I had apple & cinnamon Cream of Wheat and a cup of hot green tea(no sugar). I then had a bath. Unfortunately, the hot water was off or very, very low. I was planning to take the 11:30 Metro-North train, but I missed it. One minute it was 11:26AM, and I felt relaxed that I had time to walk to the train. However, usually when my watch says 4 minutes to go, I break into a run to make sure I don't miss the train. I often run when my watch says 4 minutes. This time, I forgot to run, and the train was at the station when I arrived. Backup plan was to take the Westchester bus to the 242nd street subway station in the Bronx. Luckily for me, my backup plan worked. I arrived at the meeting spot with 4 minutes to spare. Strange. I hate being late, but I seem to do things that put me too close to the assigned time. My epal arrived about 5 minutes late, but at least he called to let me know. We met at the tourist booth right outside of City Hall Park. From there we walked over the Brooklyn Bridge. Since I was suppose to be the native New Yorker, I tried to play the tour guide role, but I don't think I was very successful. It may have been the cold or his leg, either way, the guy didn't seem impressed or interested in my lame tour guiding attempt. I think the guy was more interested in just reaching our final destination(the movie theater). The guy injored his leg, so he had a bit of a limp when he walked. Once on the Brooklyn side of the bridge, we walked to the teacher's store I've mentioned on this blog a few times.

What happened to the paperwork that I was planning to drop of at Board of Ed HQ?

Last night, after getting off the computer and eating dinner...I fell asleep. So, I told the guy that we would skip the HQ detour. Once in the teacher's store, I told the guy to keep track of the time, because as the regular readers of this blog knows, I tend to get lost (and deeper in debt) when I go there. We didn't stay long. I thought it was nice of the guy to come with me to the store, but I don't think he was too excited about the store. I think you'd have to be a teacher (or a parent with kids), to find any interest in a teacher supply store. Although, now that I thnk about it, the guy could have been thinking about his injury.

After the teacher's store, we walked to the movie theater. I found the theater with a Google Search yesterday evening. The movie theater looked like a "Mom & Pop" kind of operation. The elderly lady took our money, but the theater policy was that she would not let us in until about 10 minutes before the start of the movie. Since the guy is just getting settled in here in NYC, I paid for both tickets(special showing Tues. & Thurs. $6). Since we couldn't go in, we just stood in front waiting, but I was uncomfortable standing in the middle of the sidewalk, and asked the guy if he wanted to walk some more. The guy was a very nice guy. He was also very agreeable. That was nice, but a bit unusual. I don't think I've ever met someone who agreed with every suggestion I made no questions asked. Anyway, I thought we would walk 10 minutes down the street and 10 minutes back. During the walk, the guy told me about his former roommate (now neighbor), and the other neighbors in his building. Needless to say, if his TV ever stops working, I mentioned that he could have all the drama he needs by putting his ear to a different wall, ceiling, or floor depending on what drama he was in the mood for. Since this blog isn't about neighbors or my epal, I am not going to repeat the stories here. After the walk, we went inside the Mom/Pop theater. I treated the guy to whatever he wanted. He got a small popcorn with extra butter and a small soda. I just had a small popcorn($12.50 total). Back to the theater description. It was very small. I think the theater originally had only one main screen, but the owner (probably the elderly lady that took our ticket) divided the theater into four small showing rooms. There were two (showing rooms) on the ground floor and two above. Our showing room had(if I am not mistaken), a width of ten seats. The aisle divided between the six seats and four.

The movie. We saw the Spiderwick Chronicles. I liked the movie. It was based on a children's book, but I think the director got a bit carried away. The creatures (I think) would scare young children, however, I think that just made it a better movie for adults. Oh, my epal and I were the only two adults in the viewing room. There were about 5 families with young children in the room. After the movie, it was still light outside, I asked my epal if he was up to walking back over the Brooklyn Bridge. However, with the pause and the hesitation (and the more pronounced limp), I knew we were done with walking. We both took the #3 train. My epal took the train to Chambers street, he said that he was going to HomeDepot. I rode the train all the way uptown. My foster father called me yesterday to let me know that I had a summons for jury duty. Apparently, my previous letter didn't get through. I stayed at my foster father's place for about an hour. Then, I returned home. On my way to the Metro-North station, I stopped off at the Korean Soul Food restaurant. I thnk I've mentioned this place here on my blog a few times. It is a popular restaurant chain owned by Koreans, there are three of them in the Harlem area (2 on 125th street, and one on 135th street). I was home about 8PM.

Well, I think that is about it. The walking was nice, and I really like the movie. I wouldn't mind doing it again, but I think next time, I will check to make sure the guy's leg is okay for walking.

Tomorrow, I will have to clean my apartment. That was the second priority on my list of things to do. Part of my workday stress comes from my messy apartment. I would like to go to the mall either Thursday, or Friday, but if I don't clean my room, then I will have to put off my mall trip again.

PS - I attached a photo of the only picture I took today. The photo os of athe top portion of the Brooklyn Bridge, with the blue sky in the background.


Post Date - Tuesday, February 19, 2008 10:17PM

No comments: