Saturday, February 02, 2008

I'll make this quick. I think I am going to lay down for a while. I didn't get out of bed til about 11am, but I still feel bone-weary tired. My groceries just arrived about an hour ago. I ordered my food online last night. This time, the delivery person was a bit annoying. He called to say that he could not find my building. I tried to get his location, but all he kept saying was that he could not find my building. I tried to explain that each buiding has a single-digit number and a name (both I included on my order form, and are posted on plaques on the walls of each building her the lobby door), but the guy just kept saying that he could not find my building. Since I was in my pajamas, I was not about to go downstairs looking for the guy. I'm paying to have my food delivered, If I wanted the pick up, I would have ordered pick up.

The guy arrived about 5 minutes after calling. He dropped off the bags muttering that this is a crazy area, and that he couldn't find the building. Usually, I tip the delivery person $5 on top of the $15 delivery fee, something about this guy just annoyed me, so I was planning to only tip him $3, but he dropped the bags and left before I could turn to pick up the tip that I had left out. So, I just said thank you and closed the door.

Friday, I was in a bit of a good/bad mood. The Quality Review was over (good), it was Friday (good), but my hypers were hyper(bad). I was in one of my moods, so when they started up, I gave them options to have computer time, even though I said that I would take it away from most of the class. I did not feel like being prison guard of a group, so I singled out the major trouble-makers (Drama Queen & Sneak) to make examples for the rest.

First period, an annoucement was made on the PA system that teachers should send down a list of those students who we felt might fail the City-Wide Math Test. I sent my list of 7 promotion in doubt. Later, another annoucement was made that the Literacy Block Program time (90min.) would be canceled. Yippee!!! Then that was followed up with another annoucement that those on the teacher's list would be pulled out for tutoring with out of classroom teachers. Yippee!!! For about 90 minutes, my stress level took precipitous drop, it would have dropped lower if Giggles had been one of the students on the pull out list. That high pitched shrieking, laughing, whinning and crying, was enough to make me put my head (or hers) through a window.

I decided to use the time to have the students work on fixing their portfolios. I modeled with them step by step how the portfolio should be organized. Giggles wouldn't follow directions, doing things her own way, then whinned, then cried when I mentioned items that should have been in the portfolios weren't in hers. According to Giggles, she did the assigments, but they are not there. She whinned then cried. After modeling the correct steps and having the students repeat with their own portfolios. When we finished, I then assigned each student to do another students portfolio who was not in the room. Since Giggles couldn't (or wouldn't) do her photofolio correctly, I didn't assign her one. She then whinned that I wouldn't let her do another student's portfolio. To shut her up, I gave her one knowing that she would botch the job. I was in one of my bad moods. I try to not take it out on the students when I am in a bad mood. Also, my goal was to have a (relatively) pleasant experience with 7 students out of the room). When Giggles started to botch the portfolio, I assigned her to be my assistant, she actually liked that.

At the end of the Test Prep period, the "others" returned. Gym was next period. As I am walking my students to the gym, the Math Coach mentioned that he had sent a memo about having a meeting during prep time to discuss preparations for the Math Exams. I kept Drama Queen and Sneak with me, any other time, I would have let them go, but I was in my mood. After prep/meeting (I will forgo any details about the value of that "professional" meeting), I only had one period before lunch. Unfortunately, it does not take a lot of time for some hypers to get hyper. When the shouting vulgar language started, I started shipping (2)students to other rooms. For lunch, I did a silent detention. If they spoke, it would cost them another lunch period. As a result, I will be doing silent lunch detention for about a week. This time, I had them just take their social studies book. I think a punishment should be productive if possible. I told the students that if I had to give up another day, then the punishment would be another silent lunch, but next time, they would be doing exerises out of the social studies book (if they don't finish, then it is an automatic extention to the next day's lunch period).

After lunch, my class had computer lab. Then, after lab, I did a quick review of the previous night's homework and a preview of new homework. Then, the Literacy Block was reassigned to the afternoon?!?!? Yes, the Lit. Block was assigned for 1:50pm (30min before dismissal). Why? Some had the new lists of their new groups, and others didn't. Then, with about 5 minutes to go, an annoucement was made that we should use this time to say good bye to our old groups, and send a messager to the main office to pick up our new list. My new group and list? I will now be teaching level 3.2 (third grade literacy). My group? Fifteen students ranging from second grade to fifth grade. Yes, second grade to fifth grade. Basically, I will now be teaching a group where 1/3 are above their grade level, 1/3 well-below their grade level, and a few students who (in theory) are now reading on grade level. Among the 3rd graders in my group are 3 of mine (including Princess and Giggles), and one student from Across the Hall's 3rd grade class who she complains is too advanced for 3rd grade work and has to find ways to challenge this kid (who according to data that she has collected is reading on a 5th grade level).

Towards the end of the day, Giggles was her loud giggling self. She didn't care when I told her about the lunch periods she would lost. She told me loudly, plaining, and often that she didn't care. She continued to be loud and disruptive. So, I took her coat and backpack.

Dismissal time. I will usually stay outside 5 or 10 minutes waiting for late parents to pick up their child. Without her coat Giggles came to me, I have to leave now. My mother says that I have to go. Basically, after being disruptive, I was supposed to have stopped what I was doing and immediately do her bidding. I don't think so.

About 15 minutes of waiting for after school to begin and the after school teacher to come, Giggles mother came looking for Giggles. Mom was annoyed. I started to explain to the mother. She gave me the usual "Umm Hmms". She said something in her native language, then turned to walk away. I just smiled...waited for the realization to hit. Seconds later, Giggles trying to explain that she doesn't have her coat. Mom was annoyed, pushing Giggles and angrily telling her to get her coat. Finally mom stopped to listen to Giggles explain again in the native tongue. The mother then turns to me to say, "you told her to give you her coat". Yep!(my response). "I told her to have her coat by the time I arrived."(mom's response). --I had told Giggles to wait on the side by the wall, but of course she walked off to go call her mother. Now, mom was standing in the cafeteria expecting to make a quick getaway. I explained to the mother the problem. Giggles does what she wants, when she wants, as loudly as she wants, but then when she is finished, she expects me to jump when she wants something. Giggles (as well as most of my students) has little (if any)respect for me, they have no problems being loud, disrespectful, and disruptive. Inconveniencing me means nothing to them, so one of the few things at my disposal is the inconveniencing of them and their parents.

After the Giggles saga was over, I was happy. I'd made it to another weekend to recover. I was planning to be out of the building about 4:30pm. But then I helped the other third grade teachers with posting their students' grades in the Board of Ed assessment online program. Then, I planned to be out by 5pm, then 6pm, then 7pm. About 6:50pm, I was almost out of the door, when the literacy coach stopped me to let me know that she set the goals for my class in the online reading program. That brief comment turned into a lenghty conversation about the "holes" in the program that allows students and some teachers to (perhaps) cheat. Since this blog is not suppose to be about other people, I will skip providing details. Besides I've been online long enough.


Post Date - Saturday, February 2, 2008 3:14PM

No comments: