Sunday, February 10, 2008

Let's see what I can scribble down for a blog entry before I call it a night. This weekend (much like all of the others), was mostly sleeping. Quick Week recap.

Once Wednesday came, my kids had their hyper day of chaos. I was drained, tired, feeling beaten and defeated. By the time 3pm came, I just wanted out. My most hyper decided to push any and all buttons. Forgetting what I had done in the past, I just dished out what they (the hypers) dished out. The more they yelled and treatened, the more I did the same. I thought I had a surefire ace up my sleeve, but I was wrong -- No surprise there. Anyway, due to mysteries far beyond me, my school's admin made major scheduling changes again. Kiddling aside, I think our school that just made well-developed on our Quality Review wants to keep that rating. The schedule change just gives each of the out of classroom teachers a small group of students to tutor. I actually like my new prep schedule. I now have computer three times per week, and gym two times per week. I'd believed that I had the winning combination that would have insured that my kids would behaved. Oh, I was soo wrong. They challenged me at every turn. Every word out of my mouth was something to be critized. They complained. Argued, and of course didn't care what I said. Threats of silent lunch detention didn't work, and that just made me more angry. And relying on very base instincts, the kids smelled blood in the water and took pleasure in tag teaming, and group critism. Anyway, once 3PM arrived, and the kids were being dismissed, I knew that it was my turned. I'd planned to keep the ring leaders (The Cackler, Sneak, Giggles, and Princess) afterschool. They just were not going down without a fight. As I stood at the door waiting for the pick ups to be picked up, the Ring went wild in the stairwell, yelling, screaming, (literally) climbing up the walls. A fourth grade teacher (guidance counselor in training) yelled at them, that did not work. I took the group to AP2 hoping she could put a bit of fear into them (they are afraid of her), but she turned out to be in a very good mood, so there was not much fear given, only the suggestion that I trade off with other teachers for a day or two. Other teachers must have sensed my frustration, because they seemed to be coming out of the woodwork. The sixth grade teacher offered to take Princess. A first grade teacher offered to take them that afternoon. Even the security guard (the tackler) offered to take Giggles who just couldn't seem to keep her attitude in check. At the time, I was happy for the assistance, but I then regained my composure. I knew as nice as the offers were, I really had to be the one to meter out the punishment. I couldn't have other teachers doing the disciplining. Why? One of the first things that I learned when I first started teaching was that if a teacher gives away their power to control (sorry, to manage) the classroom, then he (or she) will lost that power. Meaning, the kids would only behave when the disciplinarian came into the room, ignoring the classroom teacher. I told myself that I would never be the teacher that needed someone to come in to "manage" the students.

Anyway, after about 2 hours of phone tag, and conversation with and about my "Hypers", I was very tired.

The next day, the Hypers were at it again. This time, I was a bit more proactive than reactive. I also took the other teachers up on their offers, but on my own terms. I removed the Hypers not out of desperation, but just out of a need to remove the distractions. My Hypers can be what I call "attention vampires", good or bad, right or wrong, they have no problem with monopolizing my attention. They have no problem with arguing over the smallest of things as much and as long as I allow. Anyway, Thursday was a bit rough, but I was back in charge.

Friday, I received a letter from Cackler's mother putting in writing what AP1 wanted. In writing, a letter stating that I had the mother's permission to keep her child for afterschool detention when she (Cackler) was misbehaving. That letter put a smile on my face. And lo and behold Cackler was (relatively) well behaved. She still has a fresh mouth, and street attitude, but she showed a lot of self-control.

With the new schedule, my Friday, still is my easiest day. I now have two computer (one prep and one lab)periods. And there is the early dismissal at 2:20pm. Anyway, my Friday turned out to be okay. When I kids started to do the hyper thing, I became proactive again. Instead of the 4 or 5 students who deserved detention, I told them that they had the day off from detention, so that I could make an example with Sneak and Princess (who threw a couple of temper tantrums). Once the tantrums were in full swing, I was calling mom on my cell phone, something I just didn't do in the past.

It is late. I better go.


Post Date - Sunday, February 9, 2008 1:20PM

No comments: