Saturday, July 12, 2008

Baltimore, Maryland - Part 3

Below is the 3rd and final part of my adventure in Baltimore, Maryland

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sunday, April 20th (a rainy day)


I took a bus ride to the downtown pier area. It started to rain; it would rain off and on throughout the day. I decided to take a local tourist ride around the downtown area. The tour vehicle was called a "Duck". The ride was on a converted amphibious military transport vehicle. The trip was okay, but the driver went overboard with the novelty kwackers(plastic noise makers that made duck sounds). The driver encouraged the riders to use the noise makers often. The duck sounding kwackers was giving me a headache. The driver first drove around downtown Baltimore, then for the last 30 minutes, he took the vehicle into the water and then drove around the harbor area.

Next stop was the Science Museum ($28)
The exhibits I visited:
* Newton hand on science center
* Dinosaur exhibit
* Space center
* I also finally saw the Human Body Works exhibit. The Body Works 2 (or try Wiki) exhibit was educational, but a bit creepy. I was a bit uncomfortable seeing the human body cut up hundred different ways. A few poems and sayings were posted along the walls to add a bit of artistic edge to the exhibit. I wanted to take pictures, but not picture taking was allowed. I found some photos online about the exhibit; I'll post them at another time.

After the Science Museum, I took another walk around the pier. I ate dinner at MacDonald's. Again, the pier area was extremely crowded. Every food place had a line. The experience in MacD's was just another reminder that Baltimore did not give off a "safe feeling". The main eating area (located upstairs) was closed -- this was about 6p.m. There was a kind of "get your food and leave" feeling.
Other "feelings" that Baltimore might not be safe:
* a guy being arrested in front of me as I walked to the hostel on Thursday evening.
* 2 or 3 stories about Baltimore teachers being attacked by their students.
* Police sirens going off almost every hour on the hour. Day and night!
* Away from the waterfront developments were blocks and blocks of gutted and abandoned buildings.
* Neighborhood-watch guards (rent a cop types) on several street corners usually in front of banks and other "big businesses" places that could afford to rent a cop.

Monday, April 21st
I checked out of the hostel about 10:30a.m. I took the bus, and arrived about 10:45AM. I arrived just in time to hear announcements that trains were being delayed for one reason or another. I got nervous. I arrived early so that I would not miss my train, but my train ended up being about 5 minutes late. My train was supposed to have arrived at 12:14PM. When it did arrived, after about 10 minutes into the return home, the train was stuck on the tracks for about 30 minutes because the bridge was raised, and it could not be lowered. We were stuck on the tracks for about 30 minutes.

I finally arrived back in Penn Station NYC about 3:40PM. Carrying my luggage through the transit system was a bit of a headache. I arrived home about 5PM. I was too tired to do any unpacking. I just watched TV and slept.

Tuesday, April 22nd
My plan was to use Tuesday and Wednesday to clean up my apartment and do lesson planning before the weekend, but a phone call from the credit card company gave me the excuse to get out. The guy wanted me to do a phone transaction payment, but I told him that I would go to the bank to make a payment.
After the bank, I ate at MacDonald's. Walked around downtown Yonkers, then I returned home to watch TV.


Post Date - Monday, August 4, 2008 12:47PM
Completion Date - Wednesday, April 23, 2008 2:51AM /
Saturday, July 12, 2008 6:19PM

2 comments:

Max Sartin said...

Your picture on the bay is beautiful, and I hearing about life and vacationing on the east coast.

Jannx said...

Thanks Max. I'm glad you're enjoying my blog entries and photos.