Thursday, July 03, 2008

Looking for a new gym

Quick Summary.
Wednesday, July 2nd., I didn't do much. I am slowly slipping into my comatose hermit lifestyle. Lots of sleep and not much else. After finally, getting a bit of motivation, I took a bath, got dressed and was out the door about 3PM. My goal was to visit a local gym offering boxing lessons. I did a Google search to find a gym that teaches boxing. A part of me would like to learn boxing. I think boxing would help me to build some confidence (both personally and professionally). Those of you regular readers of this blog know by now that I go through phases of self-help ideas (gym membership, rowing machine, walking, and now boxing).

Anyway, with the Google search, I was able to guesstimate the distance of the local gym at about 30 minutes. The map showed a fairly easy path (just walk along one avenue until I come to the main avenue). However, I live in mountain country. To get to the boxing gym, I had to do about a 15 walk up one side of a mountain, then the other 15 minutes down the other side of the mountain (mostly stairs). Yep, the second half of the walk was following a zig-zag route down a mountain side that was mostly stairs. Once I reached the bottom, I knew that I would not be attending this gym. I really could not see myself doing a 30 minute or an hour workout, then having to do a 30 minute hike over a mountain, with the first leg of the journey being about 15 minutes worth of stairs to climb. I'm delusional, but not that delusional.

However, since I did the hike there, I decided the least I could do was take a look at the gym. The gym was located in a large warehouse. The warehouse was about the size of a city block. I'm not sure if I came in the building through the back way or not, but after climbing 3 flights of stairs (no elevator), I could not find the gym. I gave up. I was too tired to climb the mountain stairs back, so I waited for the nearest bus that would take me around the perimeter of the mountain.

It took two buses for me to get home. Since there wasn't a lot of wait time for the buses, I was back home at 4PM. I was planning to try another gym in upper Manhattan, but I was too tired. I also canceled my planned trip to the grocery store. Instead, I just took a nap.


Completion Date - Thursday, July 3, 2008 1:04PM
Post Date - Wednesday, July 16, 2008 3:38PM

2 comments:

Jeff said...

Wow, you're taking up boxing! Sorry it's been awhile since I've chimed in here, but this is impressive. I hope you like it a lot. I've only taken a couple classes on it, but I enjoy it. I'm not any good, mind you, but I highly enjoy it. Good luck with your endeavors!

Jannx said...

Actually, I'm "planning" to take up boxing, I haven't started yet. I haven't done anything other than web searchs and checked out a couple of gyms.