Thursday, July 24, 2008

Boxing Plans

Another lazy day. Not much to write about. However, I did receive a phone call from the gym in uptown Manhattan(the one I visited July 8th after day 2 of jury duty). It was the owner who had made the call. She wanted to know if I had found another gym. She also mentioned a few other things:

* She mentioned how there is no real competition, but wanted me to know that if I wasn't happy with my new choice, I could always come to her.
* She mentioned how her place isn't about prices (still won't tell me how much it would cost to take lessons).
* She mentioned about how her gym focuses on the needs of individual clients.
* She mentioned her boxing experiences, and physical fitness interests.
* She mentioned the senior program for adults over the age 55.

It was about a 10 minute call. Even though I did not get the information I wanted, I have to be honest, I did like her sales pitch.

I went to visit my foster father. And being a bit depressed that I had not done any thing productive these last few days, I ordered a take out dinner from the local soul food restaurant owned by Koreans (including a large piece of carrot cake with frosting).

When I got home, I was feeling a bit guilty for buying the greasy heart attack on a plate, so I decided to call another gym with a boxing program that I had Googled at the same time I found the uptown gym. At first, I wanted a gym that was close to home -- telling myself that I would be more likely to go if the gym was closer to home. But lately, I've been thinking that another reason is my "homebody" mentality. I mostly stay home, and I am a bit of a waiter. I have a bit of a habit of waiting for opportunities to (almost literally) knock on my door. If opportunity doesn't knock, then I will usually just stay home. I guess you probably figured that out from this blog. What have I been doing since my vacation started? Eating and sleeping it away. Sorry, I'm getting sidetracked.

I decided to take a different approach. I thought about going to a gym that was not "on my way". I managed to find a gym that has boxing lessons downtown. The cost -- they actually posted their prices. The cost (per month) would be $230 for private lessons and $135 for group lessons. At first, I was thinking that there was no way I would be paying for private lessons, but now I'm not sure. Considering I wasted almost half of my summer doing nothing in the way of exercising. Now I'm thinking about using some of my tax refund to splurge on myself by signing up for a one month of private lessons to get me started, and then continue with group lessons after that. My tax refund (and fed stimulus check) are both still laying on my radio. A part of me knows that as soon as I deposit them, somehow or someway, they will evaporate. Sorry, sidetracked again.

Well, that is the plan now. As you regular blog readers know by now, I am Mr. Planner. I'm a good planner, but a poor follow througher. Hopefully, this time will be different. In a couple of months, I will be reaching the big 4-0. I would like a new me -- I'll even settle for an almost new me.

Well, it is late. I'll "keep you posted". Pun intended.

Post Date - Sunday, August 17, 2008 11:12AM
Completion Date - Friday, July 25, 2008 12:06PM

No comments: