Sunday, July 20, 2008

Supper Club

Saturday, July 19th
Today I went to see one of my colleagues sing at a supper club. Dr. D (our school's data analyzer -- hired to coallate the data that now is coming due to almost monthly assessments in Reading, Math, and Science. Anyway, she put up flyers in a couple of places around the school. The others I ignored because the shows were during the school year. Since I knew I would have no other plans, I agreed to go. I paid my $10 for an advance ticket.

I told myself that I would try to do something productive today since I didn't have to be at the show until 8p.m. Unfortunately, by now you know me, I wasted time, until it was time for me to go. About 4:30p.m., I took a bath and got ready for the show. Since the show was in a supper club, I wore my only suit -- remember the suit I bought for my trip to Maryland. It was too hot for the jacket, so I just carried it. On my way to the show, there was a schedule change due to track construction or maintainance. The subway train went one stop, then the passengers had to get off and take a shuttle bus to rest of the way.

I arrived about 7:45p.m., There seemed to be a bit of confusion with what to do with me. One of the wait staff told be to go in, to see Dr. D, but she (Dr. D) didn't know where I was supposed to sit. I was standing at the doorway for about 6 or 7 minutes.

I got the impression the "show" wasn't so much her show as the restaurant only wanting to hire live musicians. There was the Asian pianist, European-American Bassist, and an African-American drummist. The instrument players started about 10 or 15 minutes late. Dr. Data didn't start singing until 8:30p.m. The live music finished at 9p.m. The next show was at 10p.m. Her singing was nice, and the food was also nice. The supper club was located uptown. Although the club tried to really be high class, every so often, I would get a little bit of street with my service. Although overall, the waitstaff did try to be professional, a couple of times my food was dropped with a "here's your food" attitude. I was by myself, and Dr. D was too busy being hostess to the people she knew. Of the 30 people in the room, about half were family members or friends she knew.

I left about 9:30p.m. I was back home about 11:00p.m.

Oh, Dr. D. announced that she retired from the Board of Education. She said that she gave 30 years and enough was enough -- then she sang "I Will Survive". If she were to return to school, she would have been the new literacy coach in charge of the new literacy program. Yep, the program most of us hate. The literacy coach hated the program(so I was told), and resigned from being a literacy coach. Next (school) year, the former lit. coach will be returning to the classroom; she will be a Pre-K teacher.

Post Date - Tuesday, August 12, 2008 11:39PM
Completion Date - Sunday, July 20, 2008 12:48AM

No comments: