Sunday, July 06, 2008

Bridge Walks




Sunday, July 6th
Today I had a meetup with the new E-pal(vegetarian) mentioned last week. The meetup time was 3p.m. Although, I had planned to do some errands like laundry, but I didn't do anything. Before I knew it, it was time to get ready. Haircut, shave, and bath 1:30p.m. left for MN train. I arrived about 10 minutes early. The plan was to start from Brooklyn and walk across the Manhattan Bridge and then walk across the Brooklyn Bridge. While on the bridges, we saw the artificial waterfall that have been in the news recently. I think they "waterfalls" were about $15 million to make. Sorry to say, but I was not impressed with the falls. They just looked giant pipes spewing a lot of water. If art is a reflection of real life in some way, then maybe this "art" represents the waste of wealth.
Vpal could not read the history plaques on the bridge, so I read all of them to him and explained as best as I could. Reading all of the plaques added about 30 minutes.
We finished about 5:30p.m. Along the way, I took photos, including a statue of Lin Zexu.
My epal wanted pizza...again. Vegetarian choices were limited.
Pizza Hut was the first stop in the Fulton shopping mall area, but epal couldn't "see the pizza". Epal said that he "knew a place". We ended up walking another 30 minutes well past the Fulton Shopping area. I mentioned several times that I wanted to finish by 6PM because it would take me about 2 hours to get home. I needed to get ready for jury duty which starts tomorrow.My epal could hear me, but I don't think he was listening. I could understand that he was lonely, and was glad for the company. We finally came to a pizza place that displayed the different kinds of pizza. I ordered a doubled layed pizza with sauagages.
We finished eating our pizza, but we just sat there. Since I knew I wasn't going the reach the 6:40 MN train, I suggested I would teach him about Goggle Maps, that got him excited. What he said would be a 20 minute walk to his home was closer to more than 30 minutes. We arrived at his home about 6:35pm.
I left his place about 6:45pm. I ended up getting home about 9p.m.
I looked for my jury duty summons, but could not find it.
I packed my mini TV, and radio, and my DS9 novel.
I cleaned the bath tub for another bath this evening.



Post Date - Thursday, July 17, 2008 11:15PM

4 comments:

Max Sartin said...

I loved the pictures of New York, it reminds me that it's been a while since I've been there. My grandparents used to live on E35th Street, just above Avenue I. It's been at least 20 yrs since I've been back.

Jannx said...

Hello Max. I'm glad you liked the New York photos. I took some more photos today. I went walking with an epal, we walked the perimeter of Manhattan from 125th street to the Staten Island ferry terminal at the tip of Manhattan.

Max Sartin said...

I'm looking forward to seeing them, I've got some very fond memories of NYC as a child. I went to google maps and looked at my grandparent's house, I was surprised at how much it's changed - they got rid of the big tree in front of the house and put in a parking spot there.

Jannx said...

Isn't that Google Map great!!! It has made finding places and meeting spots super-easy. I plan to go downtown to look at joining a gym. With the Google Map, I was able to get a visual idea of how to find the plan, and I know what the place looks like. The gym is on the second floor over a bank. I'm sure I would have missed (or had difficulty finding) it. I love the Google Map!!!